Friday, October 19, 2007

Naturalpath Update

I have been receiving a number of emails from people today curious to hear how my appointment with the naturalpath went. Well, it was overall a good appointment. The doctor was incredibly understanding and easy to talk with. We are in the process of ruling some things out I guess you could say. Here are the first steps we are taking:

1. Begin the hypoallergenic diet for a few weeks

2. Monitor and record my blood sugar levels (I have to prick myself for a week to test the levels - done the same way as a diabetic would need to)

3. I have to go see a nurse who will check out my autoimmune levels to see how stressed I am and to see how I shift from my sympathetic nervous system to my parasympathetic.

4. Receive some acupuncture

I am going back next friday to see the nurse for the stress test and then the following week I am going back to see the doctor for the blood sugar results and for the results from the diet. Some of you may be wondering, what is the hypoallergenic diet. Well....let me tell you. It is NO FUN!!!
Here is a list of the things that I can NOT eat:

red meats, sausage, frankfurter, pork, canned meats, eggs, soy, shellfish, nuts, processed meats, tofu, milk, cheeses, butter, icecream, non-dairy creamers, yogurt, soy milk, all gluten containing products including bread and pasta, oats, spelt, kamut, rye, barley, corn, buckwheat, white potatoes, white & brown sugar, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, milk, coffee, tea, cocoa, alcohol, soda pop, sweetened beverages, citrus, no substitute sugars like splenda, nutrasweet, etc, fruit drinks, citrus fruits, strawberries, dried fruits, margerine, shortening, refined oils, peanut butter, dressings & spreads, soy sauce, mustard, ketchup, honey, sugar, corn syrup, cane sugar.

It is quite the extensive list unfortunately. Not sure what I am going to eat in the next little while, but if you have any recipe suggestions I would love to hear them (especially in the breakfast department).

Seeing how I am in the midst of exams, I am not quite sure how I am going to sustain myself into the wee hours of the night without any caffeine. It should be interesting. And I guess my home away from home, Starbucks, will have to disappear for a little bit or at least all the yummy caffinated drinks will.
I suppose the only one slight discouraging bit of information from my appointment was that my case seemed to really fool him. Nothing was really making sense. So I am praying that God will provide the people I see in the coming weeks wisdom as they discern what it is that they are going to do with me and my crazy head.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

So..you can basically only eat fish (not shellfish though), chicken, fruits (not citrus or strawberries) and veggies? Yikes. I think we'll have to have a 'plain popcorn tastes awesome' night for you!
Well at least there is some action going on...I'm still praying, too!

Jessica said...

oh crap i just realized corn is bad too...i'll think of something!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so your list of can'ts got me thinking. How about this:

- sweet potato fries (great ones available at Dessert Sinsations)
- fruit salad of blueberries, bananas, plums and apples
- chicken grilled on the BBQ with grilled peaches
- rice with lactose-free margarine (try Fleishman's)

Can you have soy cheese? The brick cheddar version at Safeway is pretty okay.

When you can have wheat again, I have a dairy-free baking powder biscuit recipe that Toni and I use.

That's all for now - I'll keep thinking about this.