Saturday, June 28, 2008

Better Days

Our house has been hit with a whirl wind of emotions over the past few days. There have been things to mourn and yet lots to celebrate.

I must admit, with the passing of my Grandpa, sadness has not been an emotion that has consumed me. My grandpa and I were not close - in fact, he was not close to any of his children or grandchildren. There are times when I feel almost at a loss as to what I perhaps should be feeling. Sometimes I feel bad for feeling as sad as I probably should, but it's hard when there is very little connection with the person. I do grieve for my dad though. This is effecting him the most as it was his dad. My dad, along with his brothers are in a state of figuring out how to grieve for a father that has wanted very little to do with his family and that has to hurt. I can't imagine what that must feel like. I have mentioned in previous posts that there is a lot of healing that needs to happen in this family of mine. I'm trusting that God will somehow use this to bring family together rather then drive them apart. Thank you for all of the prayers that have been sent up on behalf of my family. I appreciate it immensely.

So, in dealing with the death of my Grandpa, we have also had milestones to celebrate in this house. Courtney (Derek's girlfriend) graduated from high school on Thursday as well. It was neat to be able attend the ceremony and support her as she begins this new chapter in her life.


This coming week is also my grad ceremony. We are having a big get together here at the house on Thursday following the actual ceremony with friends and family so I am looking forward to that. Dominika, my mom and I are going to be busy in the kitchen over the next few days preparing some pretty delightful food. It seems crazy to think that this is it. I am no longer bound to being in school. I am now embarking on a new and exciting journey - I guess I can be called a career woman now - haha.

This past week I have enjoyed the break off from school. My week has been great, but busy. I have had numerous opportunities to hang out with my dear friends, who, over the past 2 years have seen not as much of me due to the copious amounts of studying I did. I believe I have made up for lost time this week. Some of this week's highlights include:

Tuesday - spending the afternoon with Sabrina and Gavin enjoying beautiful weather, conversation and slurpees.

Wednesday - my grad dinner and hanging out with my wonderful classmates

Thursday - Hanging out with some very lovely ladies: Jen, Kristy, Sabrina and Aimee (Kristen - we missed you). It turned out that Aimee also had holidays this week, so the 5 of us got together for an afternoon get together. Jen served us with awesome food that may make an appearance at next week's grad celebration and we had a couple hours to enjoy each other's company and conversation, not to mention some wonderful cuddles too! I am so blessed to have such wonderful friends. I think sometimes we take for granted the joy and delight that good quality girlfriends bring to our lives.

Friday - Hung out with Kristy and Norah. I got to give Norah a bath which was pretty exciting for me. I got lots of smiles out of her and enjoyed being a little more interactive with her. She is going to be a ton of fun in the months and years to come. Norah, some aunties are going to have lots and lots of fun with you.

Today - I spent almost the entire day in my pajamas - until 4:30pm. I watched movies on TV and put together a puzzle that Kristy had borrowed me. I put the entire thing together in only 1 day. I was pretty impressed with myself. The only reason I changed and got ready was to go to church. We are starting the book of Revelations at church and that makes me excited. It is such an intriguing book of the bible and I'm excited to learn more about it and get into more depth with it.

So all in all it's been a fantastic week and I am anticipating another good week to come. This next week I begin looking after my friend Heidi's 2 girls for the summer. I think the 3 of us are going to have a lot of fun!


2 comments:

Aimee said...

Kara it was great to spend time with you on Thursday. Sorry to hear about your grandpa... I will be thinking of your family.

Janelle said...

i'm thinking of you sweets. as you deal with this loss. every family has their joys & their issues. i'll be praying for your family.
soooo proud of you finishing up your school! you worked soooo hard! :)
we'll have to get together for a Starbucks soon! :)