Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day Celebrations

Father's day unfortunately did not give my dad the credit he deserved. I spent a majority of the day at Starbucks studying with Annick for my exams later on this week. However, we were able to spend some time together as a family at my Grandma's house for supper. To honor the dads in our lives she cooked up a ton of Vareneke and Schmonfat (sorry I have no clue how to spell that but I think you know what I am trying to say). It was DELICIOUS. Amber - I thought of you as I endulged in some Mennonite goodness. We'll definitely have to hit up the cafe one of these days. Overall not much was said during dinner as we were all chowing down but I think the dads felt pretty special as this is not a common occurance in our family. We maybe get homemade vereneke twice a year, so when it comes, you must enjoy it.

After supper, we felt the urge to get out the bochi ball set to perhaps work off some of the excess food we may have eaten during supper. Dominika and I reunited our "winning" team from last year (it consisted of her and I) and took on the other 3 teams. I always knew I came from a fairly competitive family, but yesterday the competitive nature was at record high. We all wanted to win and we wanted to win bad. So much for mennonite pacifism :)

These are our "game faces" - they need a little work.



You know when the sticks come out to measure, things are getting serious.
Dom and I finally scoring a point!
Unfortunately in the end Dominika and I did not come out on top, but our team had far more laughing going on then any of the other teams, so we thought we made up for our loss in points with enthusiasm. Dom, next game we will take control and show those boys who's boss!


Despite the lack of time I actually spent with my dad yesterday, I hope he knows that I value him everyday and don't need one special day a year to let him know how much he means to me. I think I have mentioned before that over the past year I have enjoyed forming a friendship with both of my parents in ways that I thought would never happen. It's been neat to have more open conversations with each of them. I have come to appreciate more and more their uniqueness and who God has made them to be.




So, Dad, I love you very much and I appreciate all the little and big things that you do to take care of me and show me that you love me. Happy Father's Day!


1 comment:

Amber said...

aw, sweet of you to think of me! i have never played bocce ball...though it definitely looks enjoyable!!