Sunday, January 27, 2008

Taking a Sabbath


Last night at church we had another really great sermon. It was on the sabbath and I guess you could say that it hit home with me. Too often we find ourselves racing against the clock to get as much done as possible in the day before the sun goes down on the day. We create our lists and check off items one by one as we complete tasks and then measure our successes at the end of the day by what we did or did not do (or at least I do).


How often do we take the day to nurture our own selves, spend time deepening relationships with friends and family in such a way that no one is rushing from one activity to another or spend quality time with God? If I am going to be honest, I must admit that I try to squeeze as many people and activities into my day as possible and rarely do I spend time in silence with God listening to his spirit. I would love to be able to do that, but time seems to be an issue.


So today, I am taking my sabbath. I have spent the day nurturing me and those I love - not out of neccessity but rather out of love. This morning I went over to Graham & Kristy's to give them each a massage and spent the rest of the day at my parent's hanging out, sleeping, watching movies and giving some family members a massage. It was exactly what I have been needing and tomorrow I plan on doing somewhat of the same thing.

No comments: