Thursday, January 24, 2008

Celebrate Good Times


To commemorate being finished my exams, last night Kristy & I headed over with Starbucks (a yummy Americano for me) to Sabrina's to hang out and catch up. It's crazy how busy we have all become, but it was so nice to just lay low and find out what's going on in each other's lives. Plus, us aunties got to spend some snuggle time with Gavin. It's amazing how big he's getting already. He's not really a newborn anymore. We got lots and lots of smiles out of him and he was content for most of the evening which allowed the 3 of us to carry on conversation. The relaxation and the renewed contact with friends was just what I needed. I have missed my girls very much.

Aunties loving their cuddles


Today I have been lucky to spend the entire day with Cole. It's been awhile since the 2 of us have been able to spend time together. Before Christmas I was housesitting for Andrew & Aimee then I was at my parents for a week over Christmas. On Jan 2 Dan, Bonnie & Cole headed off to Mexico. When they got home I was fully emersed in exams and this week I am housesitting for Don & Lavonne. So as you can see, there have been very few Kara and Cole moments in the last month, so today I offered to watch him while Dan & Bonnie are at work.



We started off the day by going to the MCC Thrift Store (every once in awhile I like to stop in there and check out what they have. I've gotten some pretty great finds in the past) and then went to my mom's to hang out with Derek for a bit and stay for lunch before both my mom and Derek had to head off to work.





At the thrift store, Cole spotted some kids roller skates, so we bought them. Of course he wanted to try them out right away, but considering it's the middle of winter, testing them out outside was not really an option. So, what better place to test out some new roller skates then in my parent's basement on the carpet. At least this way, he felt quite confident in himself as he was gliding along and not falling.






After lunch Cole and I headed out to the Golf Dome to play some mini-golf. Cole LOVES mini golf and so do I. Kids are so funny when they golf because they take these huge wind up swings and then just whack it as hard as they can and yet somehow for the most part the ball stayed on the course and even managed to make its way into the holes. BTW - both Cole and I got a hole in one!




When Cole and I spend time together we tend to get a little silly and today was no exception. There is something extremely freeing when an adult gets to play at the level of a child and join in on the sillyness. I LOVE it!



After mini golf Cole and I came home. We both felt like making a special treat, so we made Rice Krispy Squares with sprinkles. Yum Yum!



Stirring the marshmellows and butter

















slowly melting


It's almost done. Cole can hardly wait!


Licking off the spoon - the best part!!!


And finally a day would not be complete without slurpees, even though the thermometer outside reads -25 degrees. Sometimes you just need to indulge. I have been pretty good lately with my slurpee intake. Since about September/October I have cut down on my slurpee drinking a lot. I have probably had a maximum of 10 since then. That's a huge step for me if you know me at all. I have to say that I felt pretty good not drinking them as much, but every once in a while I do crave one. Today was one of those days.


Right now Cole is vegging on the couch next to me watching some Treehouse and I think I'm going to go and join him and snack on a few squares of Rice Krispy treats.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Good times indeed. Enjoy your break!
ps. I'll need a break on Friday during the day from marking/assignments...