Tuesday, January 30, 2007

"Inside My Heart"


A couple weeks ago I purchased a book entitled "Inside My Heart" by Robin McGraw. I occasionally watch the Dr. Phil show if I home early enough in the afternoon and I love it when she is on the show. Now, I bought the book out of curiosity rather than feeling like I needed to buy the book because I absolutely love her. I have been saving a bunch of reading for my week off so that I didn't need to feel guilty about reading recreationally when I should instead be reading my anatomy textbook or something. So I began reading the book on Sunday night. Well, I am almost done it now. It's a really good book.
Robin is a practical down to earth kind of person who truly desires to live the life that God has intended her to live and to live with purpose. That is really the whole point of her book, to live with passion and purpose and being who God created you to be. I suppose one might think that it's easy for her to live with passion and purpose when you are married to "America's Doctor", but she in no way hides her struggles, her not so perfect past and how she made intentional choices in order to get to where she is today. Choices are a big message in her book; we all have choices to make whether we choose to live to our full potentional or if we choose to just stand by, we are all making choices. Whether they are good choices or not so good choices, that is another story. I thought she summed it up well in her book when she said this:


"It is not my intention to give people advice on how to solve their problems (I leave that up to my husband). But I've had my fair share of struggles over the years, and I know a thing our two about what has worked for me in this life. I have learned which battles to pick, when and how to push back, and how to bend without breaking. In short, I have figured out how not to lose "me" in the course of being so many things to so many people in so many areas of my life. I have chosen to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator, and in doing so I have chosen how to be a woman, how to be a wife, and how to be a mother in ways that are uniquely my own. I offer the stories of these choices as evidence of the power and sheer determination, will and faith in God."

I really hope that at the end of my life, I will be able to look back on my life and conclude that I was the best woman, best friend, best wife and mother (when the time comes) and the best servent of God that I could possibly be. I think sometimes we are given these preconceived ideas on how we are supposed to do things and fail to realize that God made us all uniquely different. What may work for one person may not work for you or me. I want to be able to say that I played an active part in my life and didn't just stand by and watch becuase there were moments in the game where it was a little tense or dull. I want to leave it all out on the floor so that when I get to Heaven and meet my Creator that I might be greeted with the words, "Well done good and faithful servant, for it is with you I am well pleased".

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts if you have any and would highly recommend reading the book.

No comments: