Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Spiritual Partnership

I came home from my first Anatomy exam today completely fried. A friend of mine told me to go home, crawl into bed and just relax as I was in the middle of a little meltdown. So I took her advice and turned on the tv (something I have not done in a long time it seems, which just seems crazy) and Oprah was on.
Now I have to say I enjoy watching Oprah. I don't always agree with what she is talking about, but most of the time I like watching her interviews, her bra interventions, how to dress and not to dress and those types of shows. Well today the subject sort of caught my ear. The title of the episode was "5 words that could save your marraige". I recommend reading or watching the show on www.Oprah.com

I am not married and nor can I foresee it happening in the near future. However I was intrigued. She had this guy on the show who wrote a book about Spiritual Partnership. This guy on the show defined Spritiual Partnership as,

"A partnership between equals for the purpose of spiritual growth".

Spiritual growth has nothing to do with religeon according to this author, but rather the development and growing of your own soul. God does not play a part.

The part that really caught my attention was when this guy said that "Only you can complete yourself. No one can complete you for you". I had to think about that for a second. On one hand I believe that you as a person have to make a conscious, personal choice about the direction you choose for your life and the kinds of people and things you choose to fill your life with. However, being a Christian, I suppose that changes my perspective a little bit because I believe that I can be completed, not necessarily by another human being, but by God.

It occured to me that there are so many people in this world that believe that they can be filled by another person and that person will make their life that much more meaningful when in reality, another person, in this case your spouse, is going to disappoint you and let you down, but God will not do that. He promises to never leave nor forsake us.

My hope for when I am in a place where I am getting married, that I will not rely on my spouse to make me completely happy and fulfill my soul. This man will contribute to my overall self, but he will not determine the fulfillment of my life. Only God can fulfill me and make me complete as I continue to journey down the path he has laid out for me and follow is will for my life.

I don't know if any of this made any sense, but they were just some of my thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kara!
I'm loving reading your blog! I'm totally going to check out that Oprah show!
Tiffany