Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"Great Are You"

As I am sitting down to write this post my heart is heavy and my head feels as though it is not quite on my shoulders. Over the past week it seems as though the demands of life have run ahead of me and I struggle to catch up. The items on my "to do" list are mostly all good things but all time consuming. My mind is flooded with projects to finish up, family craziness, packing and moving, motivation (or lack thereof) to finish school strong and the list could continue.

When moments like these seem to overwhelm me, I crave to feel the presence of the Father and hear Him call out to me. I have been trying to be mindful of his voice as God tends to not speak in loud volumes but rather in the quiet whispers of the day. I feel at somewhat of a loss as to how to listen to His voice and know if what I am hearing is my own desires or if it is indeed the voice of God. In the past few days, I have been attempting to focus on seeing God in the quiet moments of life and in the situations that surround me. I need to make time in my day to dive into scripture and to let the words on the pages consume my heart and mind.

Last week while enjoying a delicious coffee and conversation with Sabrina, we discovered that when life seemed to hit us full blast we both used to turn to a particular CD that helped us open our eyes to the love and tenderness of Jesus. So, when I got home from housesitting, I put in that particular CD and since then, I have been allowing the lyrics and the music to resonate within my heart. This particular song has been playing on repeat in my head...

Great Are You
~Downhere
How I love Your works
My God, My King
How I love Your works
My God, My King
Your Name rings on the plains
Like a not so distant train
And Love and history are near
In the flowers that you makeT
he flowers that you make
Because I'll never hold the picture
Of the whole horizon in my view
Because I'll never rip the night in two
It makes me wonder
Who am I,
Who am I,
Who am I
And great are you
How I love Your Word
My God, My King
How I love Your Word
My God, My King
Your love cuts through these pages to my heart
As you grieve our sins, right from the start
And sacrifice and paradise are in
The plans that you made,
The plans that you made


That song is a gooder. It tends to bring me to tears each time I listen to it. So my prayer for the days to come is that I would be mindful and receptive to the voice of Jesus and that I would rest in the knowledge that He is far greater than all the things that overwhelm me. May you too rest in the hands of Jesus.

3 comments:

mclaren.ic said...

downhere is great, and that song has encouraged me many times. [side note: i roomates with the singer's bro-in-law. true story] great post, kara. thanks for the reminder that He is far greater than all the things that overwhelm us.

take care,

ian

Sabrina said...

Ah yes...that cd. It's in our car...and has been encouraging me every time I hear it. Thinking of you today, my friend. Love you tons.

Aimee said...

That was the song I would turn to when I lived at BrierCrest, always made me feel better. :) I hope you are able to enjoy your weekend and that life gets easier. Let me know if you need help packing, I'm a pro!