Monday, April 28, 2008

I'm Back!

I have returned from 3 wonderful weeks of housesitting at some friend's of mine's place. I forgot what it was like to have a place completely to myself. I thought maybe at times I would feel lonely, but in fact I relished in the peace and found great comfort in that. Lots has been going on in my life lately - lots of changes and so being able to stay in a place where peace overwhelmed me was a huge blessing. Thanks Mary & Gary for letting me take over your home.

In the past 3 weeks I did not have access to internet where I was at, so thus, I have not been blogging very often. I have lots to blog it seems, so this will be a long catch up post.



There have been a few days lately where it has felt that spring has finally graced us with its presence and we all know what that means.... FLIP FLOPS!!! I was pumped to finally be able to pull these out, paint my toe nails (although a real pedicure is in order quite soon) and enjoy the sun upon my feet. On those days where Winnipeg experienced 20 degrees weather Cole and I pulled our bikes out one day after school, went for the first bike ride of the season and ended it off with some yummy gelati on the patio at Eva's Gelati.






BIRTHDAY BASH



A couple weeks ago a bunch of us were able to celebrate Ken's birthday with him at Buccacino's and then poker night back at Ken & Sabrina's place. It was a fun evening being able to celebrate another year of life with Ken and getting to hang out with some pretty wonderful people and share in their company.





Gavin and Ayla did extremely well at the restaurant. I was quite impressed at how long they lasted.







These faces are irrisistable!













Fun with Auntie Kara at the Restaurant









Sleeping peacefully finally in mommy's arms










Wonderful friends


Last week I got the privilege of being Gavin's first babysitter. Ken wanted to do something special for Sabrina so Ken concocted "Operation Secret Mission". He planned a wonderful surprise manicure and pedicure appointment for Sabrina while I came and watched Gavin during the day. I thought that was the sweetest thing ever and I was honoured that he asked me to do the babysitting.
Gavin and I had a lot of fun together - we went for walks, played in the excersaucer and had a little mini photo shoot. I happen to love this little guy an awful lot! I could take pictures of him all day if I could.








"Auntie Kara, I think I've had enough pictures of one day"








It would appear that I tuckered him right out. It was such a wonderful feeling to have him fall asleep on me - it's been a long time since Cole has done that and it made me miss that feeling. Nothing is quite as wonderful as the warmth of a sleeping baby on your chest.
At supper time Sabrina and I were laughing at Gavin's cuteness and I think we offended him. Apparently he didn't like our laughter. Too bad he couldn't see how adorable he was in the moment. Thankfully he recovered quite quickly.
In the evening, Ken graciously agreed to watch Gavin so that Sabrina and I could venture out to Starbucks to enjoy some coffee together. Thanks Ken! I think we had one of the best coffee dates ever! Sabrina and I over the last few months decided that we wanted to hear each other's stories and hear how God has been present and working in our lives over the years. I would encourage more people to share your stories with your friends and other people, because I was encouraged both by the support that Sabrina showed me in the telling of my story and seeing the hand of God in her life and being encouraged by that. After I dropped Sabrina off I started to cry - not because I was sad, but rather I was so overcome by joy and thankfulness that God had placed this wonderful woman in my life. I was blown away by power of God in our relationship and how he has revealed himself to me through our conversations. Sabrina...I am so encouraged by your faith and your love and passion for Jesus. I am incredibly blessed to have you walk beside me and I beside you as we learn to listen and follow the voice of God and the leading of his hand in our lives. I am anticipate more wonderful coffee dates together. You are a joy!
EXCITING NEWS!
This week we also welcomed home a new member of our "Friesen clan". Norah Marie was able to finally come home with Graham and Kristy. I initially got the call when I was at school and I was sooooo excited. Later on that afternoon I got to meet this little character for the first time face to face. She is the most precious little girl. For the past 6 weeks I have imagined in my head how small I thought she really does, but seeing her in the flesh was completely different. She was a lot smaller then I initially assumed she would be - and I saw her when she was 6 weeks old already! Her hands and feet and everything about her is absolutely perfect and beautiful. I am anticipating the months and years ahead that I get to spend with little Norah, getting to know her personality better and getting to do silly things together.




Mom and Norah in action at home. What a neat thing to be able to witness.


Norah resting comfortly in the arms of Auntie Amber.
In other news... regarding my Grandpa, he is still hanging in there. Last week they moved him to Riverview Health Center in the palliative care unit. At this point we are in the waiting stage. It's funny because him and I are not close - we never have been whereas my other grandpa who passed away 7 years ago, him and I were the best of friends. 7 years ago I never spent much time with my grandpa while he was in the hospital because of my own fears, etc. Now I am back in the same boat with this Grandpa and I have spent more time with him in the hospital then I did with my other Grandpa. It kinda makes me mad and sad sometimes because here I am spending my time and energy with a man who really wants nothing to do with the family, who has never had a nice word to share with us and who never wanted to get to know his children or grandchildren. I have had a hard time extending grace to my Grandpa and trying to show him love despite the things he has said or not said. I've missed my other Grandpa an awful lot these past few weeks. I have found myself aching for his presence. So we are in the waiting stage and hopefully it won't be much longer as he is in a great deal of pain. A lot of redemption needs to occur within this family of mine. God can move the mountains so I am praying that family members would be able to extend the grace and allow their hearts to soften so that God can work.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Nice to see you back! I've missed reading your words while you were gone. Hope that your Tuesday is spectacular thus far. Great shots of the G-man. I love that he loves his Auntie Kara!!

Christine said...

Wow, you sure have had a couple of busy weeks!