Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Mexican Fiesta



I was thrown the most wonderful birthday party by some pretty lovely people this past Friday. Everything from the food, the games, the drinks and the music was Mexican. It was awesome to say the least. The evening was full of wonderful conversation, LOTS of laughter and delicious food and drinks.

Andrew got right into the spirit of things by making himself appear more Mexican with a mustache made from eye liner. Nicely done Andrew! You made my night.




Kristy & Sabrina put together a spectacular cake for me which fit perfectly into the Mexican theme. The cake was in the shape of tacos!! It was brilliant! I was blown away by the all the work they went to and the talent they displayed.



Aimee, Andrew and Kristy made a pinata for us to whack around during the "games time". Thank you guys for all the hard work and time you spent planning this for me. You guys are awesome!


Speaking of games, Kristen (and I believe Gareth helped) put together a few games for us to play. It totally felt like I was at a kid's birthday party - pretty stellar if I do say so myself. The first game we played was entitled, "Pin the Balls on the Mexican Bull". I laughed sooooo hard when I came downstairs to see that poster hanging up on the wall. By far the funniest game EVER!!



Ken

Sabrina

Graham

Kristy

Kristen

Aimee


Me


Some of us wandered and got a little mixed up with direction, but eventually we all landed somewhere in the general vicinity of where the balls should go. We thought that was pretty good, even though 2 of us aren't married - haha!

The last game that was played was just for me. No one else would take a swing at the pinata, so it was all up to me. Aimee, Andrew & Kristy did a very good job in constructing it did not break open that easily. I gave it some good hits (apparently I had some anger to get rid of) and eventually the candy flew. Great therapy!


Andrew was brave enough to hold the stick on which the pinata hung while a blind folded person swung at it. I think there were only a couple of close calls :)


The remainder of the evening was low key - exactly what I wanted. I know I have mentioned before how thankful and blessed I am to have such wonderful people in my life to surround me, but I need to say it again because these are some of my most favorite people. Conversations are always delightful and challenging. We can laugh till we often have tears rolling down our cheeks and most importantly, we can be real and authentic with each other. Friends, I am blessed to be able to walk through another year of life with you alongside me to experience life with me.

Andrew tells stories like no one else I know

our bartender mixing up the "good stuff"

Aunties are the best!!!!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks like you had an awesome party! Wish I could have been there! Glad you could be celebrated in such a fun way!

mclaren.ic said...

i was really hoping that andrew's mustache was real! that would have been amazing.

glad to hear you had a good birthday kara. lauren and i wish we could have been there for the festivities.

Thiessen said...

Thanks for having a birthday Kara! I had so much fun :)

Aimee said...

It was wonderful to celebrate you, I had a blast!!!!