Monday, February 11, 2008

Salsa Dancing

Normally on Friday nights I like to lay low, relax and do some studying. After a long week at school I am usually exhuasted and need a night to stay home and just veg. This past Friday I went against my normal routine and went salsa dancing with Steph and Jess. It was AWESOME! There were moments when I felt a little bit out of my league, but for the most part it was great. This place Steph knows of teaches 2 classes from 8-10 and then from 10-1 there is just free dancing. There is no alcohol that is served, so it's just people getting together who love to dance. We learned 2 dances on Friday - the tango (not my favorite) and salsa. I think I either had 2 expressions on my face:
1) a very concentrated look trying my very hardest to follow the teacher's footsteps. I think by the last song I was finally starting to get the foot work.

2) complete hysteria from laughing so hard at my very mennonite body sometimes -haha.



This dance place was located at Augustine United Church in Osborne Village. I had never been in this church before, but it had always intrigued me. It's an old church with beautiful woodwork and wouldn't you know it, a dance studio on the 2nd floor. Who knew? It clearly wasn't a mennonite church! It's too bad they just don't make churches like they used to.

I mean of course when one is building a church one would think you must need a dance studio with mirrors on all 3 walls, a stage and a bar for ballet.


For those people who have not seen Steph dance, you are missing out because she is incredible. One day I hope I can dance even remotely as good as her. I think once I am done school I am going to sign up for regular salsa lessons because afterwards you just feel so good. You'd be amazed at how much you sweat. It's an awesome workout.




The place we were at on Friday night does this every Friday night, so I'm going to try and go as often as I can because it sure beats sitting at home studying, although I was extremely exhausted by the end of the night. I could hardly keep my eyes open as Jess and I shared a piece of peanut butter chocolate chip cheesecake at Baked Expectations (I guess that took care of any calories I may have lost dancing).





Last week my parents picked up Cole and I and we spent the day hanging out with my parents and my grandma. Cole loves my family and I think that's so neat. I think my favorite part is being able to see my parents play a "grandparent" type role and they turn into completely different people. I love it! Whenever I go shopping with my parents, especially when my dad is along, we tend to find some very strange stores to go into. Normally they are stores no one else has ever even heard of. We were on our way home, driving down Logan when my dad spotted a sign that says sportswear sale. He is intrigued, so we pull over and go in to check out the deals. When I think of sportswear I usually think of shorts, t-shirts, various sports equipment, shoes, sweatpants, etc.
Well, we walked in and this is the kind of sportswear that they were selling. Not really my taste and I am not too sure what kind of sports you would play in clothes like these. We had some good laughs over the place. Never a dull moment with my family.







Every once in awhile Cole likes to take my camera and take random pictures of people and things. Here are some of the pictures he had taken - he wanted me to post them on here so I am. Enjoy!




Grandma
















Kevin






And Me

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Kara
it was good to check out your blog and see how much i've missed hanging out with you. i was beginning to forget how witty and strange(in a good way) your humor is! salsa dancing? wow. who knew. i'm so happy (and a little jealous) for you that you're almost done school, now when can i book my massage with you?! lately i've been seeing a 300 pound swedish woman whose front bum keeps touching my arm when she massages me. anyways, call me when you have a spare afternoon and we should get together. reading week is next week for me!
caio