Sunday, July 8, 2007

Weekend at the Cabin



Friday Cole and I headed out to my parent's cabin for the weekend while Dan and Bonnie went to Kenora for Dan's sister's wedding. Cole and I had a wonderful weekend. Never a dull moment it seems, even at 3 in the morning when he woke up crying for no apparent reason and there was nothing I could do to comfort him. Frustrating and sad all at the same time.




Friday Morning: Cole and I got picked up bright and early at 7:30am by my dad so that we could go strawberry picking on our way to the lake. I unfortunately left my camera in the car, so no pictures were taken, although I probably wouldn't have had much time to take pictures because according to my dad, we were on a mission! We ended up picking 23 ice cream pails of strawberries in less than 2 hours. Due to the extreme heat in the fields we were that much more motivated to get the work done with so we could get to the cabin and jump in the lake. Now, you might be wondering what anyone would need 23 pails of strawberries for. Well...my mom and my grandma made jam and froze them when we got to the cabin and then of course we had numerous pails for eating. I am surprised we didn't turn red because we ate A LOT of strawberries.






We spent most of the rest of the day on the beach building sand castles and swimming among the waves in the water. The water was so nice and comfortable to swim in, which was very nice.





























Saturday: Our cabin community had a family fun day at the local park down the road, so Cole and I hopped on the quad to go and check it out. It was great although once again I forgot to bring my camera. Everything was free: hotdogs, drinks and chips, plus there were lots of games and silent auctions. Cole was extremely dissapointed when they announced the judging of the bike decorating contest. We apparently didn't read the flyer close enough because we neglected to decorate his bike. I had a very disappointed boy on my hands, which ended very quickly when we discovered the fish pond where he could fish for a prize. All was good with the world again!


When we returned from the park, we headed down to the beach for another full afternoon of swimming and sand castle building.







Right: Water fights in the lake















A couple weeks ago I bought a Spiderman slip n' slide for my daycare this summer and ever since, Cole has been begging me to set it up. I thought the cabin would be the perfect place to set it up and it was. However, once it was all ready to go, Cole decided he didn't really feel like trying it out anymore. Tears were shed and it seemed like the end of the world that I was trying to convince him that he would enjoy it once he tried it. Eventually he brought himself to crawl through it 3 times very slowly and then he had had enough. I am very thankful that I only decided to spend $10 on this toy!



ICE CREAM AT BEACHSIDE DELIGHTS











Cole enjoying a "real" rainbow ice cream (he's lactose intolerant, so this is a rare treat for him)













At the beginning of the weekend, my parents and I had promised Cole that we could have a campfire on Saturday night. Due to the heat though, none of us really wanted to sit by the fire and roast marshmallows.

























Cole however, was not about to let us forget about it. Funny how kids can remember everything. Cole normally goes to bed between 7 - 7:30, so I told him that at 9:30 we were going to have the fire once it got a bit darker outside and had cooled off a little. In the meantime I set him up in front of Peter Pan in hopes that he might fall asleep and forget about it. WRONG!!! He would start to doze off and then quickly jolt up and ask if it was time to have the campfire yet. I finally gave in and at 8:30 my dad built us a fire so that Cole could just roast his marshmallows and then head off to bed. I think in total the fire lasted about 20 minutes.


Above: Helping getting the fire going


My mom helping Cole eat is extremely hot, yet unroasted marshmallow



Like I mentioned earlier, Cole and I had a bad night on Saturday. He all of a sudden woke up at 2am bawling about nothing. I tried all that I could to comfort him and get him to go back to bed, but nothing seemed to work. I felt terrible because by 3am the rest of the cabin was also awake. Eventually he quieted down by 4 and went back to sleep. The cause of his outbreak is still unknown. When I asked him about it this morning, he said he didn't cry or have a bad dream, so go figure.

No comments: