Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Camping We Will Go...

Our young adults group from church headed out this past Friday to Falcon Lake for a weekend of camping. Now, I won't lie. Camping would not be my first, second or third choice for a weekend. That being said, I had a great time hanging out with amazing people and getting to know some others who I did not know as well.


Friday night we arrived at our camp sites and set up before it got too dark. We laid pretty low and just enjoyed each other's company and sat by the fire.




Above: Jon & Jess

Right: Bre & Odie






The morning dawned upon us bright and early due to some very loud, annoying and monotonous birds singing away at high volumes and the pumping of music at a nearby campsite. I think all 16 of us woke up feeling a tad tired, but once we got some yummy pancakes in our tummys we were in a much better mood (at least I was).






Making Breakfast























Hiking

Following breakfast we headed out to the Falcon Lake Ski Resort to do some hiking. I believe the trail was called "The Top of the World Trail". It was a beautiful trail to climb, but I can't convincingly say that we were at the top of the world since we were still on Manitoba soil, but nonetheless it was beautiful to sit on top of the rocks and look out over the lake and islands. The beauty of the surrounding creation was amazing!









Left: myself with Lauren & Sabrina



















Myself with Laurie and Jess








Along our hike we discovered this random truck, so Jess & I thought it to be a good idea to take some pictures.

















Along the trail we also discoverd many wonderful batches of blueberries that tasted absolutely delightful. They were a perfect little snack!














The Girls

The Guys








Left: Kendall & Ian

Right: Our photographer Graham







Beaching It
After our hike we headed back to our campsites to make some lunch before heading down to the beach. The water was beautiful and a very nice cool down after a hike. I unfortunately was unable to go past my mid thighs in the water due to my recent tattoo, but I still was able to enjoy the refreshment of the water on my legs - just enough to cool off a bit.


Deanna & Laurie






Jess & I did not go in the water for various reasons, so we discovered a new way to enjoy the coolness of the water without fully submerging ourselves in it. It worked out to be a wonderful idea. We were cool (in multiple ways) but we were also able to enjoy the sun and not have to worry about tattoos and stuff being exposed. It was fabulous!








Odie & Bre


Dutch Blitz
we had a fairly intense game of dutch blitz on Saturday afternoon. It was so intense that Aimee was unable to even put her popscicle down. We had a lot of fun!












Lawn Bowling

Falcon Lake has a lot of fun things to do around the town. We ended up choosing lawn bowling. I know that doesn't sound like your stereotypical activity for a bunch of young adults in their early 20's, but it was actually a ton of fun. We had many good laughs and just had a good time being "goofy" together. Some of us might be joining some leagues around the city, who knows :)




None of us really knew the rules of the game. We had some of the basic ideas down, but Graham kindly explained to us how to play. We discovered a lot of competiveness in people we didn't think had that.
I believe that team "Super Awesome Cool" (consisting of Josh, Graham, Deanna & myself) has some work to do before next year's game

































Kristy & I found new purposes for the balls



















After supper, the boys (and Melodie) decided to have a game of poker while us girls headed down to the ice cream shop for some ice cream and slurpees for those of us who needed those instead. The line up for the ice cream was crazy long, but once we all got our desert, we took a walk down to the main beach to watch the sunrise. It was a beautiful evening.




Above: The Friesen Girls
While walking down to the beach we discovered this wonderful inner tube that had the words "Big Mama" written on it. It only seemed appropriate that our beautiful pregnant girl hopped in for a picture.


All in all it was a pretty good weekend (even if camping does not come naturally to me). I had a great weekend with friends enjoying each other's company and the outdoors. I believe that the favorite quote of the weekend was the following:

Person #1: So what lake is this?
Person #2: Ummm..Falcon Lake

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty of being person #1...let's blame it on the heat!
Thankfully person #2 was pretty darn sweet about it!