Wednesday, December 3, 2008

December Already???

Every time I have gone to write the date in the past 3 days, I have been in awe that it is already December. Where did the time go? December is shaping up to be a pretty busy and exciting month. On the agenda are the following: Christmas parties, times with friends and most importantly, Hawaii!!!

I am still in the same place I was in November on the Christmas decoration front - Absolutely nowhere. Apparently all of the Christmas decorations are conveniently stowed away in the attic and not worth the effort to get down. Bah humbug I say. In order to fill my Christmas preparation desires, I have Steve Bell's "The Feast" playing in my car, I have bought some Christmas decorations for myself and for friends (despite the lack of tree to hang them on) and I spent the day today with Kristy and Norah baking Christmas cookies. I think I can finally confidently say that it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!


Christmas preparations on the decoration scene may be minimal this year, but my heart's preparation is attempting to be in full swing. Advent readings have never really been on the forefront of my mind during Christmas. I am definitely one of those people that tends to get caught up in all of the hustle and bustle that Christmas time offers. However, I want to change some habits this year by introducing some discipline in Advent readings/prayers. I came across a prayer by Henri Nouwen that caught my attention and have been using it as a focus for my prayer time.

"Lord Jesus,
Master of both the light and the darkness,
send your Holy Spirit upon our preparations for Christmas.
We who have much so much to do, seek quiet spaces to hear your voice each day.
We who are anxious over many things look forward to your coming among us.
We who are blessed in so many ways long for the complete joy of your kingdom.
We whose hearts are heavy, seek the joy of your presence.
We are you people, walking in darkness, yet seeking light.
To you we say, Come Lord Jesus...
Amen"


I think somedays my mind is so wrapped up in the holiday festivities or at least wanting to be wrapped up in the season, that I have lost sight of the manger scene. Despite the change of scenery and focus that Christmas will hold this year, I don't want to lose sight of the presence of Jesus in all of it. I have been growing and learning what living in the presence of Jesus looks and feels like in the past few months and the journey thus far has been nothing short of incredible. I don't want to be disconnected now. May this month in particular be a time of truly living and waiting for the presence of Jesus.


I'm off to bake some more cookies.


3 comments:

Aimee said...

Glad to hear your getting in the christmas spirt... and in new ways :)

Trev and Rebekah said...

Enjoy being in His presence while you bake and shop.

Jessica said...

That's a great prayer. And yay for Christmas baking! (Norah is so cute--she looks like a little pixie in that picture!)