Sunday, December 21, 2008

And the Journey Ends

Our journey to Hawaii has come to a screeching halt. There will be no Hawaii trip in any foreseeable future for this family. Air Canada essentially screwed us over and are unwilling to compensate anything for us. We are all very sad and disappointed, but trying to remain somewhat positive that we are at least all together over the holidays rather then split up on various airlines by ourselves or in groups of 2 (which was what Air Canada wanted us to do - not an option for us). Had we chosen to take them up on their suggestion of us all flying out at various times, some people would have only had 4-5 days in Hawaii in the end. Definitely not worth $30,000 dollars for 5 days of vacation (which is what my Grandma paid).

I went back to the airport with my parents a second time to sort things out. The manager at Air Canada was an asshole in my opinion - he really could have cared less and actually walked away from us as I was talking/crying to him. I didn't even try to hold back my tears as I was hoping that they might score us some sympathy and free vouchers or something. Just for your info, Air Canada does not offer vouchers for cancelled flights due to weather. In fact, their customer service in general is appalling.

On a more positive note, at least our family is all together this Christmas - we could be a lot worse off. There were people at the airport who's flight had also been cancelled who were going to be alone this Christmas. I would have been heart broken had that been me. So in the big picture, it's not the end of the world, just VERY VERY disappointing. Currently my dad and I are checking out to see if we can work out a little mini trip to Minneapolis. Nothing like a shopping spree to soothe one's sorrows.

I think tonight might be spent with a few rum and cokes along with perhaps setting up the Christmas tree. Now that we are going to be spending Christmas here, we just might need that Christmas tree. At least one prayer got answered :)

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Kara this is just so sad that you can't be on vacation..... but I admire your positive attitude. Andrew and I had a bad experience with Air Canada a few years ago and I prefer not to fly with them anymore. They are usually assholes!!! Hope you can still enjoy christmas...... now you can come to the new years party! :)

Raquel said...

sorry to hear about how horrible air canada is...i'll keep that in mind when we go away! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas in winnipeg!