Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Little of This and That

I have returned home from Toronto safe and sound. It was quite the trip though. The course was good, but not what I expected. I thought I was going to learn a lot more then I thought I did. In Ontario, their massage schools have a very different curriculum then Manitoba. For example, in their schools they do not learn any pregnancy massage whereas we do. I didn't necessarily learn any new techniques, but it was a good refresher and gave me more experience and confidence in the skill I already have. In Ontario, most massage therapists seem to work in the hospitals whereas I don't think there are any massage therapists in any hospitals in Manitoba. When a therapist from Ontario takes this pregnancy course, they more often then not become doulas and labour support. I think those people are very valuable, however I have no desire to be involved in the birthing process.

On Friday when the class first started, the instructor stood up and said, "Haven't you guys always just wanted to know what a cervix feels like?" I looked around the room and we all were like, "What????". I thought I was maybe in the wrong class or something. I was not. The instructor had some interesting ideas and thoughts about the role of the massage therapist in the pregnancy and labour process that I didn't necessarily agree with, but I admired her passion and knowledge of the subject.

One of the biggest things that was different between Ontario and Manitoba massage schools is that they perform breast massage. In Manitoba we do NOT do that and I am quite thankful we don't. Imagine the following scenario if you will:

30 students paired up, 15 massage tables arranged in a circle with half of the students laying on the table and the other half giving the massage. There is no fancy draping, but rather, the sheet just comes down and there I was, along with 14 other girls fully exposed on top in a semi-reclined position. I was slightly mortified. The therapists are then instructed to get a firm grasp of the breast, hold it at the base and jostle it back and forth to increase circulation and keep it moving. Not only was it a bizarre experience, but it also hurts like hell. It was awful. I am quite thankful that we do not do this in Manitoba.


I understand the use of breast massage for doing lymph work as it is a major site of lymph nodes, but there is no need to do any other vigorous work to the breast as it is not a muscle, but rather ducts and fat.

The location of my hotel and the school was not in a very "safe" neighbourhood. It was recommended that I not do any walking outside, so I was bound to cabs and buses. Originally when I booked the hotel I was told that the hotel and the school were in walking distance - about 1/2 an hour or so. No problem. Friday afternoon I ventured out to make the trek to the school. I started walking for a couple minutes, those couple minutes turned into 30 minutes and then 45 minutes. At that point I stopped a man on the street and asked where this school was. He informed me that I had a good hour walk yet ahead of me. I'm so glad I had change with me because at that point I hopped on a bus and eventually made it to the school. The walk was definitely more then 1/2 an hour.

I arrived in Toronto Friday morning at 9am and had 6 hours to kill before I had to be at the school so I decided that my time could not be better spent then shopping at one of the malls. It was a fabulous mall. They had awesome stores, but unfortunately not a lot of sales. H&M did come through for me and I managed to pick up a few shirts/sweaters. After the cab rides, that was about all I could afford.
I even managed to go to Louis Vitton, although I felt quite out of place in my jeans and hoodie. Plus, I didn't have $500 - $1400 to spend on a purse. Perhaps someday :)



The highlight of my trip was getting to see Jon and Jess. We met at the airport on Sunday evening for supper before my flight left. It was so nice to see friendly faces and have the opportunity to talk in person rather then over email and facebook. Thanks Jon and Jess for coming all the way from Hamilton to see me. It was sooooo good to finally hang out with you!

At the airport there was a fabulous display of pictures a photographer had taken. This one was my favorite. Notice the nail polish and the red lipstick??





Prior to my leaving for Toronto, the weekend before I spent the day with Cole. He had been asking for a Kara/Cole day and wanted to go to Build-a-Bear and to the movie Space Chimps. Apparently he had been saving up for this for quite some time and wanted to spend it making a bear with me. I felt honoured. It's quite the process to make a bear and quite expensive - definitely not an everyday occurrence, however it was so nice to be able to spend the day with him. I miss that kid so much!



And of course I have to include a picture of Norah - she keeps getting cuter and sweeter with each passing day!






This post was kind of all over the place - sorry. There were some loose ends to tie up.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

It was so good to see you too. You're the first Wpg. contact we've had in over a month and it was wonderful. We should replicate that red-nailpolish-in-the-wild look someday!

Aimee said...

Welcome home!! Sounds like you had an interesting time :) Can't wait to see you.

Christine said...

Sounds interesting! I would rather NOT have my massage therapist massage my breast! NO THANKS!! I am very happy with what she does massage!