Monday, July 14, 2008

Cabin Weekend

Friday after a day with Ella and Sophie, I headed out to the cabin to spend the weekend relaxing and soaking in the sunshine. Little did I know things do not always go as planned. Later on in the evening on Friday, the wind and rain started to pick up, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. However, when I awoke on Saturday morning this is what I woke up to:


The wind blew steady for 24 hours. This wind was not your ordinary little gusts and gentle breezes, but rather full out stormy strong gusts. I ventured out on Saturday afternoon to check out the storm first hand to see how strong the wind was. I ran with all of my might and by the time I got back inside I was exhausted (and I hardly went anywhere). Apparently it was quite the sight to see me running, but no one else had a camera there to capture the moment. Lucky me!

By Sunday morning, the wind had died down completely and we had a gorgeous day. It's amazing how quickly the weather can change from one extreme to the next! However, we had a lot of clean up and draining of the yard to do. Thankfully it was nice and after all the work was done, I was able to find myself laying on the deck. I even managed to get some colour on me, which was very much welcomed.













My aunt and uncle's patio on the beach got ripped to pieces by the waves and the wind knocked a huge tree, including the roots right out of the ground. I had no idea how much damage water could actually cause!

Despite the mess we had to clean up, Sunday also proved to be a perfect day to enjoy the water and take the jet ski out. Derek and Courtney arrived late Saturday night, so it was nice to spend some time with them and have some people to hang out with other then my parents and my grandmas.




On Monday when I woke up, the weather was back to cloudy and windy, so we packed up a little earlier then we had wanted and headed back to the city. Graham had called me earlier in the weekend to see if I was available to sub on his ultimate team. It happened to work and I was happy to play. As I sit here writing this post, I am extremely sore from the running as I had not ran or thrown a frisbee since last August. In a previous post I had mentioned that I wanted to become more active and I got my wish sooner then expected. Be careful what you wish for or at least make sure the activity is introduced in small increments. I have a feeling I am going to feel a reminder of ultimate in the next few days to come. Oh well, it was worth it and it was great to play again!

No comments: