Friday, July 18, 2008

A Bittersweet Farewell

As I write this post, my dear friend Jenn from school is making the long trek with her 3 year old daughter to Whitehorse, Yukon. I was able to hang out with her for about an hour yesterday, say our goodbyes and catch up a bit, which was very nice, but I am sad to see her go.

Jenn is a very neat woman. She possesses such strength and courage - it's unbelievable. I know that for myself, if I were the one contemplating travelling 3000 miles to relocate my family I probably wouldn't do it. I like my routine. I admire Jenn's desire for adventure. Don't get me wrong, she still has some unsettling thoughts from time to time, but the overall experience of moving to a new place intrigues her and gets her excited. I love that about her. So although moving away from Winnipeg means that I will miss Jenn's presence terribly, I am also pumped for the new and exciting opportunities that Jenn will have in her life out there. I know she is and will be a fabulous therapist and that she will have the opportunity to impact the lives of her clients. I have no doubts about that! So our goodbye was bittersweet.

Jenn was an amazing friend from school. In previous posts I have mentioned a little about the diversity of my classmates (now my fellow collegues - haha) and how them and I don't always see eye to eye, mostly on lifestyle choices. But despite our differences I have become such great friends with a few of these classmates of mine. It's so neat how God places people within our lives who are not necessarily seeking Jesus, but who still have a heart that desires to help the lives of people around them and who can encourage and support their friends. This was in many ways the dynamic between our class. My hope is that God was able to use me to speak truth into my school friends. Trust me, I was not always perfect, but I hope that these friends of mine were able to walk away with some nugget of truth to hold on to.


No comments: