Monday, May 5, 2008

New York Bound

Cool Story - yesterday I went to my parent's church in the morning and after the service my mom and I were talking with one of her friends who plans travel tours for a living. She mentioned to us that she was planning a shopping trip to New York. My mom and I both looked at each other and responded with:
"Sign us up!!!"

We are Pumped! This has been a dream of ours for many many years. We have both been there once before, but have never gone with the intentions of only shopping and we have never gone together. My mom has recruited a couple of her friends who also have daughters around my age and we are all probably going to go together. New York is in some ways a highly overrated city but there are aspects of it that are beautiful. I am very much a city girl and I love the hustle and bustle of the city. I find some peace in it - as ironic as that may sound.


So my mom and I made a deal to save up our pennies for some serious fun. We are going either the 3rd week in October (my birthday week...which would be awesome if I got to spend it in the Big Apple at a Broadway show or something) or the first week in November. A final date will be set within the next couple of weeks.


The last time I was in New York was 7 years ago and so much has changed in that city since then. There was also a lot that I did not get to see due to the short amount of time I spent there. This trip will be 5 days in length - from a thursday to a monday but we are going hard all 5 days. They say its the city that never sleeps and we intend on putting that to the test!

All afternoon yesterday my mom and I were planning and thinking of all the things we wanted to see and do while we are there. Here are some of the things we came up with:


  • A Broadway show - don't really care which one, but this a definite must!
  • A hotdog in Central Park
  • Shopping in Soho
  • The Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Rockefeller Centre
  • Shopping down 5th avenue - Macy's, Saks, etc
  • Going to a talk show while we are there would be awesome, but not sure what's playing there. More investigation is required. It would be my dream if Ellen was in town.
  • Lots of picture taking!!!


I'm sure our list will get longer and some things will get cut as we continue to plan and save. If anyone has some must do activities while in New York, let me know. Heidi - I'm sure you have some good ideas and some recommended sites to see.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Kara...that's SO fun. I must admit, I covet such a trip. I can't wait to hear about your plans. Yay for mom time!

Anonymous said...

Oooh.....that's so great! I'm really excited for you. It's wonderful to have a fabulous trip to look forward to, and October isn't THAT far away!

My NY faves: crab cakes at the Brooklyn Diner (http://www.brooklyndiner.com/), 1/2 price Broadway tickets at the TCKTS booth and shopping at Kate's Paperie (http://www.katespaperie.com). I'll think of some more between now and the Fall.