Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothering Day!

This day of celebrating Mothers comes every year, but I think for the first time I found myself celebrating the person my mom is in my life. Her and I have had a rocky relationship for the longest time and over the past year or so we have been able to enjoy each other's presence and accept each other for who each of us is even if we are completely different people.

My mom, Grandma, Aunt and I

For mother's day this year, my brothers and I got my mom a bike to take to the lake. She was wanting a bike to use to go to the cornerstore to get a paper and just for exercise. We found this awesome crusier bike and a basket to go with. She was pumped to get the gift. She felt the need to test it out immediately, apron and all!

















My dad wanted in on the fun too!


Random pictures from throughout the day





Over the years I have had the amazing privilege of being "mothered" by other fantastic women who in many different ways have played the mothering role in my life. These women have been a HUGE blessing to me in my life and have in part shaped me into the woman I am today. Each of these women brings a unique offering to the table in how they mother, but when compiled altogether, their contributions bring out the very best in me.


First of all there is my dear dear friend Sandra. Sandra lived through hell with me during high school. I don't know where I would be without her. She deserves more thanks than I could possibly ever give her. She is a phenomenal woman, who has shown me time and time again focus my time and energy on God rather then on the the worries of this world. She was the "mom" who told it to me straight. If I was being unreasonable she was the one to tell me to snap out of it. I believe she kicked me in the ass more than once and I love her dearly for it. Currently Sandra lives in Vernon, BC so our get togethers get longer and longer apart, however, she is still very much a part of my life.


Secondly there is Nicole. Nicole also had the wonderful privilege of being a "mom" to me during my teenage years, lucky her (I was NOT a fun person to be around). Bless her heart that she stuck by me and helped me make it through. Over the years her and I have spent a lot of time together although it is unfortunate that she too does not live in Wpg so we do not see each other as often anymore. Nicole was there with a shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen. She never judged me or my decisions (or at least I think she didn't) and she accepted me for who I was, flaws and all!


My Grandma is a constant in my life. Her and I have spent so much time together over the past 24 years. My Grandma used to do A LOT of babysitting for us as kids so we got to know each other very well. Grandma is like a ray of sunshine in my life. I don't think we could ever be mad at each other. She has come through for me so many times when my own mom was not around. Her and Grandpa bailed me out more times then I can count. She was the practical "mom". She was organized and knew exactly how to get things done. She provided wisdom and faith and assurance that no matter where life leads me, God is always with me. She is my prayer warrier. If there is ever any matter that I need prayer for, I know Grandma is at the top of my list for people to pray on my behalf.



Finally there is Mary. Mary has walked with me and beside me over the past 5-6 years and has never left my side. She's always in my corner. I know she is always someone on whom I can fully rely on to be there. She has instilled in my a thirst for knowing God and challenges me constantly to go deeper with Jesus. If I have questions about anything, I know I can always turn to Mary and she will listen intently to me and make time for me in her often very busy days. Mary puts the needs of others ahead of her own without any hesitation. Her heart overflows with love for people and I hope I too can one day display the love of Christ in such meaningful ways.


I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to accumulate many different "families" over the past 10 years. I have learned that family is much more then DNA. It is about acceptance and loving unconditionally even when we screw up. Family is about sticking with each other through the thick and thin. It does not mean that we leave our family members to handle their own messes and drop them off at hospital entrances and drive away when they feel like they want to die or when they are having heart attacks. So on this annual tradition of celebrating Mother's, I want to celebrate and thank God for not only my biological mom but also these fine women who have brought me up as well. Thank you for being my family.

To the women mentioned above, you are amazing women in my life. Thank you for walking with me, encouraging me and holding me accountable over the years. If I am 1/2 the mother one day that you have been to me, I will be in great shape. Thank you for planting seeds of hope and truth into my life and for being a "mom" to me. I love you all!



HAPPY MOTHERING DAY!!!!

3 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

You are very good at expressing your appreciation of others in your life.

Amber said...

It's wonderful that you have so many great women in your life!! What a blessing!!!!!

Janelle said...

i love seeing people on your blog that I appreciate too!
like my cousin Jodi!! :) give her a hug for me!
and Sandra! she was best friends with my cousin Bonnah growing up & i looked up to her so much. i havn't seen her in years, but just think she is one of the most beautiful people i know, and am so excited to see her so happy & living such a great life with her family!
i'm so glad that YOU have been blessed with amazing women to surround you & support you! :)
HUGS!