Thursday, March 6, 2008

Things I Love

In the past few days I have been doing a lot of reflecting on my life - the journey I have embarked on and the places I desire to go and where my relationship with God fits into all of that. It's been a really neat experience as I have learned to see God in the day to day rather than just in the thunderstorm moments. I desire to be more appreciative and thankful for all that is in my life and how I can bring glory to God through those things. Here are a couple of things that I have been incredibly aware of these past few days and I thought I would share them.

INCREDIBLE FRIENDS. Last night I was reminded at how incredible my friends are. Sabrina and I had a much overdue coffee/tea date in the warmth of her living room. Gavin went to sleep wonderfully (with only a little wake up) so we had a wonderful, mostly uninterrupted time to talk. A couple weeks back we decided we were going to tell our stories to each other, where we've been and how God has been present in our lives. Last night was my turn. There is something incredibly freeing about sharing your story, being vulnerable and letting someone know that much about you. It was also a really neat experience for me because it allowed me to reflect on where I have been in the past 10 years or so and how God has continued to follow me and pick up the broken pieces that I have left behind and slowly put them back together. He's like the parent who constantly is picking up the toys on the floor by the kid who never stops pulling the toys off of the shelves. I am so blessed by amazing friends who will hear my story, love me despite my many flaws and then spend some time in prayer together praying for each other. Sabrina is not my only friend with whom I have a deep connection with, but one of many. I am so grateful for the amazing women God has placed within my life who have encouraged me, kept me accountable, walked with me and who have shared many great moments with. Kristy, Aimee and Jess, I thank you for the amazing women that you are and I anticipate many more great memories spent with you girls. Love you!


SPRING. There have been a few days recently where the smell of spring has been in the air. Those days made me excited as I anticipate the new life that comes with spring. I am looking forward to looking outside and seeing more than just a white blanket of snow. I'm looking forward to evening walks, sitting outside patios along Corydon, walking to go and get Gelati and of course, going to the cabin. At the end of May I am also anxiously anticipating the arrival of Graham & Kristy's little schnerps. New life really does come with spring!

RASPBERRY ICED TEA LEMONADE. Lately I have been indulging far more than I probably should be on Starbucks. I still thoroughly enjoy my selected coffees and lattes, but lately it has been the Raspberry Iced Tea Lemonades with passion tea that I have come to crave. They have definitely become a favorite. Usually when I am at my parents, my mom, Courtney, Dominika and myself pile in a car and head over to Starbucks to pick us up some of these delicious drinks. I love the way it has become somewhat of a tradition every weekend. If you have not tried one of these drinks, I highly suggest that you do. You won't be disappointed.




TONI. I am loving that my dear friend Toni is home for good from Vancouver. She had been living there for the past year and now is back in Winnipeg. I missed her terribly over the course of the past year. Since being back at the end of January, we have gone on many outings and have enjoyed each other's company whether it be lounging around the house and watching a movie or heading out to Cornelia Bean to pick up some yummy teas. I love her dearly and I am so glad that she is back!




Family. In the past year I have come to love and accept my family in new ways that I never thought I could ever do. Grace has overcome our relationship (at least on my end) and I have been able to love them unconditionally. I am constantly amazed at the hand of God in my family as it sometimes seems as though they are the hardest people to love sometimes. He is continually showing me how to love them and he is softening all of our hearts so that we may be gracious to one another and allow real, healthy relationships to form. God is a transforming God and my family definitely attests to that. I have come to the point where I desire and enjoy the presence of my family. I will go out of my way to do things for them and to spend extra time with them when it is not necessary. Observing the transformations in some family member's lives makes me excited and hopeful for what is to come in the future. God is definitely a good God!



4 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

Good post. Having solid Christian friends is always something to be thanful for. I am glad you connect so well with Sabrina. I love her too.

Sabrina said...

You are a wonderful woman, and I am so blessed by you. Thanks for your story. Love love.

S.

Jessica said...

those are good things to love (*especially me)

Janelle said...

ok - seriously. on your recommendation - i tried that new drink today at Starbucks. i thought i had tried everyhting...but i think i have a new favorite - oh my goodness YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks so much for the recommendation!
p.s. my hubby hates everything Starbucks, but when he sipped mine he said i could buy him one next time!! :)