Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Brag Post

This past weekend I became another auntie to a beautiful Norah. Perhaps I am a little biased, but I think she is one of the most beautiful babies I have ever seen. I haven't yet met Norah but I am counting down the days until I do. This little girl continues to melt my heart. I have a feeling that I am not the only auntie that feels this way. She was born a fighter and it's going to be neat to see that personality reveal itself in the months and years ahead. I am so glad and privileged that I get to watch!

Last night Aimee and I headed over to Graham and Kristy's to help out with some of the cleaning and stuff that G & K just don't need to consume their time with. We were happy to be there and were hoping they let us come back again :)


Kristy's lower back was giving her some pain so she asked if I could possibly give her a massage. Well, she had to do a lot of twisting of my arm - just joking. I was more then happy to do it. At one point during the massage she asked,
"I don't know what I could have done to make my back so sore?"





Aimee and I both looked at each other and then laughed. We told her that perhaps it was the whole process of pushing a baby out of you. Kristy, you are so cute. Kristy has to be one of the most amazing people that I know. Her strength and positive outlook is incredible to watch and has become an encouragement and lesson for me to learn from. I love hearing both Graham and Kristy talk about Norah. Pride radiates from them. They are such amazing parents.







Anyway, back to the massage. I loved having the opportunity to massage Kristy so soon after the birth of Norah. Partly because I just love Kristy and want to make her feel good, but also because this is what I want to do with my career. I want to work with mothers both pre- pregnancy and post pregnancy and also their babies whether they be preemie or not. Massage has such a powerful touch and is an incredible tool for healing. In speaking with babies primarily it does some of the following things:

  • stimulates digestion - this can be a great aid for preemies as they need all the help they can get in this.
  • it helps strengthen their little muscles
  • relieves gas (Sabrina can attest to this one)
  • relaxes the baby if feeling overstimulated - massage releases chemicals such as oxytosin and endorphins which essentially makes us all happy and allows us to relax.
  • skin stimulation speeds up the myelination of the brain and nervous system which improves brain-body functioning and enhances neural cell firing - essentially it helps the baby react faster and better to the stimuli placed on them.
  • strengthens the immune system
  • increases oxygen and nutrient flow
  • and most importantly it creates a bond between parent and child.

I had no intentions on trying to "sell" infant massage when writing this post, so excuse the tangent, but I just find it all so interesting. I whole-heatedly believe that God has blessed me with a gift with children and I hope that I can one day honor that gift with the work that I do. Who knows, maybe one day I can work on little Norah.

In the picture above, Norah is under the tanning lamps to get rid of some of her jaundice. She just melts my heart!



*note - the pictures of Norah I stole off of G & K's blog. I didn't think that they would mind :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your "stolen" pictures! I went to check out Kristy's blog but it's only for invited people (is that new - I thought I had checked out their blog on Sunday to look for pics??). What a miracle Norah is, and so CUTE!!!!

Sabrina said...

Auntie Kara...love the stolen photos. I too have thought of snagging some off their blog...way to brag. I love it!! And boo-yah for infant massage. Can't wait to see how God continues to use your massage skills, and gifts of love and compassion to help people.

Love you muchly. Maybe a date some time soon?

Aimee said...

We are soooo lucky to be aunties!!!I just never get tired of seeing pictures of Norah! :)

Amber said...

heh, I can totally hear Kristy pondering why her back is sore...very silly girl. that is really cool that you want to specialize in that area.

and you have worked your magic on jayda too - remember? she went from a little upset to being rubbed by you then asleep in your arms almost instantly. :) may God bless you as you continue to help others with the gifts that He has given you!!