Sunday, April 1, 2007

So Long to Spring Break



The week has just seemed to fly right by. My week off was much too short, but yet so welcomed. It has been a busy week. Monday I spent the day looking after Cole and his friend Sam. The two play so well together that I felt kind of useless. Oh well, it gave me the opportunity to do some school work and catch up on some house cleaning.
Tuesday I spent almost the entire day in bed. What a glorious day! I had gone and rented 3 movies, "Little Miss Sunshine", "Snow Falling on Cedars" and "Babel", all of which were fabulous movies by the way. Since school I have had a hard time justifying going to rent a movie because I feel like I should be doing something more productive with my time such as studying. It was very freeing to know that I could spend an entire day in bed watching movies with no guilt attached. In the evening, Sabrina and I went for slurpees and a walk to enjoy the beautiful spring weather. I have missed going for evening walks. Then to end off the day, I watched yet another movie before bed, "The Devil Wears Prada", by far a favorite of mine.
Wednesday and Friday this week I got to go and help Botanical PaperWorks with some stuff. I have missed being there. Sometimes I wonder why I chose school when I could go to work and then come home and leave everything behind, but then I remember that I am in school for a career that is going to bring me so much joy and that will allow me to use the gifts that God has blessed me with. It was good to be back at Botanical though. The people there are wonderful and I have missed them.
Thursday I ended up sleeping until 2:30pm. Yup, that's right 2:30 in the afternoon. I guess I was tired. I did not go to bed late, however I guess I just needed to catch up on some much needed rest. I had made a list the previous night of all of the things I had wanted to accomplish on Thursday, so when I woke up and realized the time, I very quickly hopped out of bed and began working through my list. I accomplished more in 2 hours than I did all week combined. I did some serious cleaning and got supper ready for Laurie and I.
Laurie came over for supper and then I gave her a massage as a birthday gift and then we proceeded to walk over to Starbucks for some coffee. I tried the Green Tea Latte and I was thinking that it would be a green tea bag with steamed milk and coffee (sort of like a London Fog), but I was greatly surprised when they called out my drink and it ended up being GREEN! Yup, green! It took awhile to get over the fact that I had a green drink that left a weird film on my teeth, but slowly the drink started to taste better. It wouldn't be a drink that I recommend. I guess that's what I get for trying something new. You should stick to what works in terms of coffee. There is no need for trying new things.


Saturday, Jess, my mom and I headed out to Grand Forks for the day to do a little shopping. We had about 4 1/2 hours to shop and were extremely successful. Target was my friend yesterday. I found so many great pieces; it was wonderful. It was nice to spend the day with Jess and my mom too. We cranked Backstreet Boys in the car and enjoyed singing at the top of our lungs and getting some pretty strange looks at the border while waiting in line. It was good to laugh.


Last night after church, Sabrina, Kristy and I went for coffee to Starbucks and enjoyed wonderful conversation and a good drink this time. These are 2 amazing girls and we discussed some very interesting subjects along with how God was working in our lives. It was definitely my definition of time well spent!




Lately I have prompted to ask myself the question, how much is too much? What does living simplisticly and living for God's kingdom mean in my own life. It's kind of a scary thing to think about looking at my life and wondering what things need to go and what needs to be added in order to live in the way God has called us to live. Are there things in my life that prevent me from drawing closer to God and if so, what can I do in order to change that? In my opinion, those are some pretty tough questions. I enjoy shopping very much. Not necessarily to make sure I have all the latest fashions, but rather it's more of a therapeutic thing. I shop best when I am stressed. I probably did not need the things I bought yesterday in Grand Forks. I don't want to justify the reasons why I buy unnessarily things, but rather I want to question my own life and the choices I make that are supposed to bring me contentment. What does living in content really mean for Kara? I'm not trying to say that I should sell all of my belongings and become a Mother Theresa or travel to third world countries bringing the news of Christ to people there because that is not what God has called me to be (at least I don't think so), but rather keeping Christ at the center and living every moment in the presence of Christ. Perhaps I shoud start my changing my own life here before I go and tackle big things like becoming a missionary in Africa or something. Like I said earlier, that is a scary thing to think about because living in a "kingdom world" often requires going outside of our comfort zones and in past experience has required me to do some pretty "scary" things for Christ. As I have been reading this lent season I am constantly reminded of how especially through the Gospel's Jesus' ministry was anything but comfortable. He asked his diciples to do some pretty crazy things, so why is it that we assume that living according to Christ's Kingdom should be a cushy thing? God calls us to think and travel outside the box in order to live fully in the presence of Christ everyday. So what does living simplisticly and in the presence of Christ mean for Kara? Well, I have not quite figured that out, but I am starting with asking the questions and letting God do some leading and guiding in my life. I will keep you posted on where that takes me.

No comments: