Saturday, May 9, 2009

BC 2009


Last week Thursday my Grandma and I embarked upon an adventure to BC for a 50th Wedding Anniversary. My Grandma who was a little reluctant about going by herself asked if I would accompany her. I, of course could not refuse, so off we went. The plane ride west was quite uncomfortable as my neck was still hurting quite a bit from the botox injections earlier in the week. That, combined with nausea made for an unpleasant departure. Thankfully once in Abbotsford I felt a much better. I only had 1 day of being out of commission, so I was quite pleased with that. Perhaps this botox thing will work after all.

The 50th Anniversary was on the Saturday and it was a very simple and low key affair. There was way too much food and it was great to see all of my cousins and their families (my aunt and uncle have 12 kids, plus spouses and kids, so there were lots of people to mingle with).


What I love about BC is the scenery. My aunt and uncle live close by to many rivers, walking trails and parks. Most of my days consisted of walking to Starbucks and then slowly making my way home venturing through parks and enjoying the beautiful view.

Me & Grandma


On Monday we drove out to Harrison Hot Springs to walk around. Now, the thing with old people is that they get a little "funny" as they age. At 2pm they decide that they want to make the drive out to Harrison (just over an hour away). We have people coming for supper at 5pm. If you do the math, that leaves just under an hour to spend at the hot springs. Apparentely older people just like to go for the drive. I personally thought it was a waste of time to only spend 40 minutes walking around and not even go into the hot springs despite the gorgeous scenery. Oh well.


My aunt and uncle primarily speak German. I have failed my Grandmother in this regard, so at the airport, while waiting for our plane to take off, she came across a German Handbook so that I could learn on the short plane ride to Abbotsford. I sadly disappointed her. I can sometimes catch the gist of what people are saying, but my speaking skills are extremely poor. Perhaps in my next life I can improve upon this skill. Because we were there over the course of numerous weekdays, I saw very little of my cousins due to their work schedules, so weekdays were very quiet for the most part - especially quiet for me because of my lack of German speaking as it seemed like everyone who came over to say hi and visit only spoke German.


Wednesday two of my cousins took the day off of work and took me to Vancouver to do some shopping. Serious damage was done. Let's just say I made a nice dent in my bank account :) We spent the day in Metrotown and scored some great finds followed by numerous Starbucks visits in search of the Botanical PaperWorks posters for my friend Heidi (Sorry Heidi, I didn't come across any of them). Of course we could not just walk in to a Starbucks and not order anything, so needless to say we drank A LOT of latte's that day :)


Thursday night we arrived safe and sound back in Winnipeg. It was nice to get away but there is something very enjoyable about coming home too! Although, I must say the weather in BC was A LOT nicer then the weather Winnipeg is currently experiencing. Snow. Seriously, why do we live here???

It's been a rough week in the lives of some of my girls and I was quite sad to be so far away. I was beyond excited to step off the plane in Winnipeg and know that I could go and spend time with them. I am anticipating an upcoming week of many friend visits. Sabrina & Gavin - hugs coming your way very soon!!!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Love love love the b&w photo of you by the water. Stunning! Looks like a very beautiful place...now if only it was a girls week away, rather than a trip to little Germany. Hmm...maybe one day.

So glad that you made it home safe and sound. Can't wait for more Starbucks and a chance to catch up. Don't forget your German phrasebook, you'll have to teach me a thing or two!