Friday, August 1, 2008

First Day on the Job

Not only is today the first day of the month, it also marks the beginning of my career. Today was officially my first day on the job at Hamilton Healing. Unfortunately it wasn't a great day, but I'm told it will get better. I did not have any clients booked, which was disappointing, but understandable since it is Friday evening of the long weekend. Who's going to want to come in for a massage when they could be camping instead??



My day would have still been ok if not having any clients was the only thing that happened, but unfortunately that was only the beginning. I arrived at work today at 2:00 to get some paperwork done and to talk to my boss before she took off for the day. My shift didn't officially start until 6:00, so between 3 and 6pm I had intentions in doing some errands in the area. However, I ended up staying at the clinic until 6 and decided to not do the errands. At about 4:00pm I looked out the front window and noticed that a tow truck was hooking up a car. I thought to myself, that sucks to be that person. When I took a closer look, I noticed that the car he was hooking up was MINE!!! I bolted out the front door as fast as I possibly could and caught the driver just as he was about to pull away. I had forgotten about the no parking during rush hour - stupid me! In order for me to get my car back I had to pay the guy $63.00 just to push a silly little button to unhook my car!! Ridiculus! I tried to flirt with the driver, being sincere and extremely remorseful, but unfortunately he wasn't digging my lines and good looks. Darn it! So I gave the wonderful man my credit card and he kindly pressed his silly little button and released my car. Not only that, but I had a bright yellow ticket on my windshield for $50 for parking in a rush hour zone. If I am unable to pay the $50 within 15 days, the price for my ticket jumps to a grand total of $100. Wonderful. As of now, my car is safely in my garage and the ticket is payed for. So before I had even made any money, I managed to spend $113.00. What a way to start my first day of work. Note for next time: park along the side streets to avoid tickets on Osborne.



Other then my little parking fiasco, I was rather excited to be at work. Here is a brief little tour of the clinic:


The front reception area

Check out the name on the door - wahoo Kara Friesen RMT.

My actual clinic room that I am sharing with my friend Erica.

Here's my little sales pitch: If you are feeling achy and need some relaxing or some deep tissue work, I have tons of available appointments for next week and the following week. For the month of August, I am charging only $40.00 for a 1hr massage. That is one heck of a deal (The regular price is $60). Feel free to give me a call if you would like to book an appointment (284-0775 - clinic or 792-9082 - cell). I take most insurance coverage as well!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

aw, i'm sorry to hear your first day wasn't the most positive experience. how could that driver choose money over your charms and good looks--i'm guessing he didn't get a good look at your feet or he definitely would have let you 'off the hook'! ;)
i was thinking of you today!
your name looks quite perfect on that window, i must say. so exciting! i hope that your next shifts bring you pleasant customers and no-hassle parking times. i will let people know you're there!

love,
Jess

Trev and Rebekah said...

Oh how I could use a massage right now!
Sorry about the car situation.

Amber said...

woo hoo, your name looks great on that window! congrats!! i'm so sorry to hear about your car, although am i mean for having to hold back my laughter??! :) i can't believe the driver didn't cave with your charm & beauty! meh, he wasn't worth your time anyway. oh, and that massage table looks very inviting!!! all the best with your new job, kara!

Erica H said...

Yahoo! Congrats! Love your name in the window - must be SO exciting!

Aimee said...

Your name looks AWESOME on the window!!!! That is sooooo cool. Sure sucks about the car thing, but good idea with the flirting, to bad it didn't work. :(

Sabrina said...

You are a career woman! Wahoo...nice name on the door!

No doubt the slow start is to be expected...and I am sure you'll start to boom before you know it. I think I'll have to book Ken in to see you - he could use a massage with the sports he's been up to - and year end at work. Will you see his bum? That would be funny. Hee hee. It'll be a surprise, so don't mention anything yet! Once I know his schedule in the next couple weeks I'll make an appointment.

Love you lots Kara! Can't wait to hear how things pick up, and who God brings through the door for you to share your gift of healthy touch with!

Josh and Laurie Pauls said...

Wow. What a story you have of your first day. You will never forget it. Sorry to hear about what happened.

So I heard that you coincidently worked on my friend Janelle. How cool! She was very impressed.

J and I may just have take you up on your offer sometime this month!