Wednesday, August 22, 2007

In Memory

It is 6 years ago to this day that my Grandpa died. Not only was he my grandpa, but he was a father figure to me and also one of my best friends. We spent a lot of time together while I was growing up. When I was younger we would have sleepovers at Grandma and Grandpa's house, spend wonderful summers out at the cabin together. He was the type of Grandpa that actually got down on the floor to play with us - he met us at our level or where we were at. I never had to question his loyalty to me, his love for me and where he stood. He was a constant in my life when other things were falling apart.
As I got older and played more sports, he came to every single basketball or volleyball game that he could. I knew I would always see his face in the stands and that meant the world to me. His constant presence in all aspects of my life was a huge life giving thing for me.
He became a listening ear to my problems and my prayer warrior. His confidence in me gave me strength when my life was headed down some tough roads. I remember countless times when I would run the 2 km to Grandma & Grandpa's house to hang out if I needed a safe place where I could just be. Even as I got older, he always met me where I was at.

I wish he could still be here, to see what I have made of myself, the path I have chosen and the faith that I have acquired. Even though he is not here at this present moment, I believe with my whole heart that he is aware of my accomplishments, the obstacles that I have overcome and the person that I have become. I miss him a lot, especially when I am at the cabin as that used to be "our place", but I have grown and I have created new memories. Not necessarily better memories, but different ones - equally good and life giving. In the moments of my missing him, I remind myself that he is where he wants to be - he is sitting at the feet of Jesus worshipping and I am excited for the day when I can join him there and we can worship our King together.
I miss you Grandpa and I love you very much!

No comments: