Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas 2011

Christmas came and went in what seems like a blink of the eye and yet Christmas turned out to be different than I was expecting this year. Different is not good, it's not bad. It's just different. We got the Christmas ball rolling Friday evening with an extended Friesen gathering. It was loud, a tad chaotic but it was an evening of catching up with cousins and holding brand new babies.
Christmas Eve consisted of the traditional Chinese food with the parents, although this year we added some cousins, aunts, uncles and grandmas into the mix. We enjoyed another great Christmas Eve church service at St Benedicts Table where we were challenged to feast in the life of Christ a midst the uncertainty and darkness in our lives. We then returned home to games and yet again, more food. 
Christmas morning as an immediate family was short and sweet due to the juggling of in-laws and new family traditions. Kinks are still being worked out for next year, but regardless, it was good to enjoy a fabulous breakfast together before heading off to other family engagements. 

A giant crossword and coffee sitting by the Christmas tree is a pretty fantastic way to spend early Christmas morning!
even Kitty got dressed up for the festivities.



I got my cappuccino machine :) Now I get to experiment!

The traditional Christmas family photo, in all our morning glory :)



And that is kind of where Christmas came to a halt for me. Christmas Day afternoon the plague of the flu hit me like a ton of bricks. I was down for the count and I have remained that way until the afternoon today. Despite the achy body, gastro mal functions (sorry too much info :), I can say that I am officially well rested.


So there ya have it. Christmas 2011 in a nutshell. As we enter a new year, I will choose to feast in the unexpected - to feast in the celebratory moments of life - to feast in the moments where things don't go right - to feast because God has lavished his love upon me so that I may live in the shadow of his grace all because of a baby that was born thousands of years ago in the darkness, in the unexpected.


No comments: