Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Best Surprise Ever.

I got a new job. I'm working part time with MB Mission here in Winnipeg. I'm pretty pumped about it. This job allows me to travel from time to time, and as such, I had the opportunity to attend the all staff leadership summit in Abbotsford this week (well, we actually stayed at a retreat centre just across the border, but close enough). The time getting to know the staff better and take part in sessions about missions and leadership was life giving. I left Sunday morning, had an intense 3 days and last night arrived back in Winnipeg. Talk about a whirlwind.
Because the job is new and I knew I was going to be going to Abbotsford, I decided not to tell a few people who are currently residing in Abbotsford. I thought it might be more fun to just show up at their doors on Tuesday night instead. And it was. I got to pull Rachael into my scheme, and I am so glad I did. She organized an entire evening of awesomeness with some of my most favorite people.

First off, we surprised Heidi. She screamed for a solid 5 min. It was awesome.

Rachael, Heidi and I enjoyed dinner at Milestones and enjoyed some of the best belinis around for old time's sake.
Next up, we headed over to Joanne's for some yummy snacks and to hang out with Joanne and her kids and Corina (I completely forgot to take pictures of this part of the night).
Last on the list was surprising Carla. It took her a few seconds to realize I was standing in her doorway, but once she realized, excitement set in and I ended up getting hit in the face (totally by accident of course :) There was also a lot of screaming going on.
For the remainder of the evening, we hit up Starbucks and hung out at CBC in the rec lounge. It was perfect, albeit too short.

At the end of the night, goodbye's were said and as I got on the plane, back to Winnipeg, the next day, it felt completely surreal that I had just spent an evening with some of my favorite people.

 I am thankful for:

21. people watching in airports.
22. morning flights that are accompanied by lots of coffee. Thank you Starbucks!
23. Laughter with co-workers.
24. new relationships that are formed among team members.
25. re-uniting with old friends
26. listening to Christmas carols being sung in worship and in four part harmonies.
27. Alone time. A room to myself at the retreat centre where I have moments to rest and refuel.
28. stories of new life and the work God is doing all over the world all because a baby was born at Christmas time.
29. Welcome packages that are filled with yummy little goodies that remind you that you are thought of and loved.
30. Afternoon walks in Abbotsford on a clear day so that Mt. Baker can be fully gazed upon as you walk.
31. Complete strangers who invite you over and make you feel as though you have been around forever.
32. Experimenting  with the making of eggnog lattes and then enjoying their goodness.
33. worship that brings goosebumps that shiver down my arms and legs
34. Invitations to learn 
35. doors that have been opened in ways that I never expected them to open.
36. screamed excitement over surprises
37. laughter and meaningful conversation that is experienced with friends.
38. technology - goodbyes are never really goodbyes.
39. conversations in bed with a friend that cause you to stay up WAY too late.
40. the familiarity of returning home to the comforts of my own bed.



1 comment:

grahamandkristy said...

Congrats on the job with MB Missions!! That's wonderful. What does the job involve?? We should figure out a coffee date when I am around. would be good to catch up!