Sunday, December 18, 2011

Advent

I've been doing a lot of thinking in regards to advent this year. I wanted to prepare my heart for the birth of Christ in a meaningful way, but my thoughts seemed to be more scattered and jumbled than I would have liked. And as such, this post will reflect my frame of mind as well. That being said, I found myself on Friday afternoon, alone in the house with some quiet time for myself, so I naturally decided to pour myself into pages of Ann Voskamp's book. I'm taking my time with this read. I want to soak up and really spend time thinking about the words she writes. I'm loving her thoughts on joy and humility.
"Awe ignites joy because it makes us bend the knee and I remember a night chasing moon and we are deepest happiness in the posture of grateful worship. Because the God-likeness within our smallness speaks to the Father God in His magnificence."


I don't spend enough time in the posture of worship - physically bending my knees, opening up arms and hands to receive all that He has to give, and gazing into the face of the God I love. Last week, when I was in Abbotsford, I had the opportunity to experience that unspeakable, indescribable joy and it made me realize how much I have craved that kind of worship these past months. I need to find ways in which there can be more space in my life to allow this worship and connectedness with God to continue. On Friday, as I spent some time in silence before the Lord, I heard Him say, "Just go. Go worship. Now." I listened. I turned on the music and allowed the Spirit to move me. There in my living room, I created space to literally fall on my knees and sing. I had goosebumps on my arms and that spine shivering feeling as the Spirit moved. It was a beautiful and spontaneous moment. As I continue to prepare my heart for the birth of Christ, I hope I can carry this posture of worship as I approach the manger, just as the wise men and shepherds did.


My second thought surrounding advent, draws me into the story of Mary. She intrigues me. When the Angel of the Lord informs her that she will give birth to the Son of God, her whole world gets shaken up. Her plans, her future - it all changes in the blink of an eye. She would be talked about behind people's and probably ostracized in most of the social networks she was a part of.  I wonder what would have happened if she would have said "no" to it all? Would God have listened? I am awestruck at the faithfulness of Mary - her obedience. Mary, instead of freaking out and going her own way, falls on her knees, perhaps out of complete terror, but nonetheless, she adopts the posture of worship. She humbly lays down her plans for God's will and she opens herself up to the graces of God and His incredible plan for her life. She first worships the Lord and then secondly ponders these things in her heart. I can't say I would have responded in that order myself.
"In Mary's humility, her willingness to die to her expectations and plans, God exalts her. In her submissiveness to His will, He fills her emptiness with fullness of Himself."


What a beautiful picture of how God works. In Mary's case, He literally filled her body with the holiness of Christ for 9 whole months. How will Mary's attitude of worship and humility show itself in my life? I want to continue to ponder these things in my own heart. 
"Fullness of joy is discovered only in the emptying of will. And I can empty. I can empty because counting His grace has awakened me to know how he cherishes me, holds me, passionately values me. I can empty because I am full of his love. I can trust."


So I will continue to count the graces of God in my life and pray that as I empty myself of me, that God might fill me with more of Him. And as I am filled with more of God, I pray that my heart would ponder His goodness and love for me in my heart. 


I am thankful for...
41. wool socks.
42. christmas shopping and having the finances to show family and friends how much they are loved.
43. free lattes.
44. gradual healing in relationships.
45. children's christmas programs.
46. child-like faith.
47. thank-you's relayed over video.
48. celebrating grandma's birthday - a remarkable woman in my life.
49. the smell of fresh, clean laundry.
50. the sound of a snoring cat sleeping beside me.
51. christmas movies on tv.
52. cars that heat up quickly.
53. uncrowded shopping malls.
54. finally finishing my christmas shopping and keeping it extremely stress free. 


No comments: