Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pondering Thanksgiving

A friend of mine recently invited me to read a book by Ann Voskamp entitled, "One Thousand Gifts". For the last week I have been pouring my time into reading this book, and as I read, I find myself in a constant state of agreement, whispering the word "Amen!" at the end of every sentence. I am being challenged to incorporate a life full of more gratitude. I truly want to be able to give thanks in all circumstances, to echo the words of Job and say,
"The Lord gave, and the Lord takes away;
Blessed be the name of the Lord." (Job 1:21)

What would my life look like if I adopted this attitude - this mantra for myself? Can one not agree that this would be a pretty incredible way to live? The author of the book would be the first to admit that this is easier said than done. There are days when gratitude and thankfulness seem like the most unnatural response, but learning to give thanks, to live out this idea of Eucharisteo - deep joy found at the table of Thanksgiving - takes great discipline.

"Daily discipline is the door to full freedom, and the discipline to count to one thousand gave way to the freedom of wonder and I can't imagine not staying awake to God in the moment, the joy in the now."

It's interesting timing that this book is speaking to me as the advent season begins. I don't believe that this is at all a coincidence. In a season where materialism and consumerism run rampant and where the true meaning of Christmas is lost on so many people, I feel as though this is the perfect time to practice the discipline of thankfulness. To truly live out this discipline of Eucharisteo is the" "hard discipline to lean into the ugly and whisper thanks to transfigure it into beauty. The hard discipline to give thanks, for all things at all times because He is all good. The hard discipline to number the griefs as grace because as the surgeon would cut open my son's finger to heal him, so God chooses to cut into my ungrateful heart to make me whole".
After all, is that not what Christmas is all about? God sending his one and only son into the world to overcome the ugliness that has consumed this earth and ourselves and to make us whole. Through the birth of Christ, the world transfigures into new life. 

So this advent and Christmas season I am taking on the author's challenge to make a list of one thousand gifts - graces if you will - that I am thankful for.  I am not sure how long creating this list will take me (my hunch is that this might be a many month long process), but disciplines take time and I want to be sure that I am taking the time to really learn what being thankful in all things means and looks like. As I embark on this journey, it is my desire for my life to be transfigured. I want to experience what it is like to live full of joy in the moment, to have my eyes awakened to the grace and mercies that God has lavished upon my life.

Day 1 of my Thankfulness Project starts today. Oh Lord awake my soul so that I may sing of your graces!


1 comment:

Doug and Myra Gentry said...

Okay, #1: I am thankful for you.

dg