Thursday, October 30, 2008

God in My Life

Over the coarse of the last 2 months, I have seen the hand of God in my life in ways that I never have before. My life has taken some interesting and unexpected twists and turns this fall and as I have spent time trying to decipher the purpose and reasoning behind these events, I have been blessed by how God has been working.

For the past month and a bit I have been getting together with a friend of mine on Thursday mornings to spend time in prayer in hopes of trying to discern what Jesus has to say. A common theme that has been speaking to both her and I is who does Jesus says he is. Jesus' words "I AM" are ones that flood my mind day in and day out. I have been failing miserably in allowing my heart to trust the hand of God in life's circumstances. As I sit and reflect I can't help but be somewhat ashamed of myself and the fact that I felt as though I am worthy to question the motives of God. Who am I that I feel as though I can question God's authority and His power?? All that I am required by God to do is to trust that He is and will be present and that his timing is perfect. Too often I have been finding myself questioning God's presence - or lack thereof. That is a lot of time and energy spent on worrying when instead I could be spending that time looking for the God moments in my day. Can I trust that God's presence is enough?? Can I be satisfied that his love and desire for intimacy with me is enough?? Can I allow myself to just sit in his presence and just ask him to show up and be content in that??

When Jesus responds to us with the phrase, "I AM", can I be satisfied with that answer and allow him to work in the ways that he needs to? I will be honest and say that allowing Jesus to have full authority over my life, the life of others is so much easier said then done, but if I can't trust that Jesus can handle my problems, then I have bigger problems on my plate then I originally thought.

So in order to seal the words and characteristics of Jesus in my heart and mind, I have created the following list to carry with me on the days when trusting Jesus to handle my "problems" becomes difficult.

So who does Jesus say he is?
  • Redeemer
  • Counselor
  • Healer
  • Almighty
  • All-knowing
  • Mighty God
  • The Rock
  • Bread of Life
  • Saviour
  • Alpha & Omega
  • Just
  • Jealous
  • Passionate
  • Burden Carrier
  • The Great Shepherd
  • Emmanuel
  • Holy

Will I allow the characteristics listed above to be enough for me?? I'm praying that over coarse of the next few days and weeks ahead as more shit falls down around me, I will allow the words on that list to ring true in my heart and to give me an inner peace. 

4 comments:

Lavonne said...

Remember that God is ALWAYS present and we're the ones that often don't show up! He calls you to honor Him in all that you do...this is His will for your life. I'm looking forward to re-connecting and learning how God has been working in you!

Oh, and the Celine concert sounded amazing:)

Sabrina said...

Love you lady. Thanks for sharing what you're learning and for our own talk that serve to so often challenge me.

Aimee said...

Thank you for sharing and I pray that you will find peace in Jesus! Love you lots and lots.

MommyDu said...

Your list reminded me of this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-6gwssX0Y