Monday, November 7, 2011

Thoughts over coffee



I woke up this morning not only to my clients cancelling their appointments for today, but also to a winter wonderland of sorts and it made me all giddy inside as I realized that it has been 2 years since I have seen snow and we are entering a wonderful season, as Christmas and Advent are literally just around the corner. I felt as though I needed to do something to celebrate snow, so I dug out my winter parka, the boots, etc and tromped through the slushy, snow-covered streets to Starbucks, dog in tow.
I don't know what it is about this weather, but I have been consuming hot beverages right from the get go and I have spent a good chunk of the day thinking and pouring into scripture. 

For about a month now, my heart has felt anxious and a little antsy as I continue to figure out what my life is supposed to be and where and what God is calling me to. It's a big question and I have to admit that for the last little while, I have been impatient and perhaps even dissatisfied at the lack of direction and response from God on this matter.
I was reminded recently of the story of Elijah on Mount Carmel. If you are unfamiliar with the story, check it out in 1 Kings 18. Elijah summons Ahab to the mountain, along with the prophets of Baal. All day, Baal's prophets call upon his name, begging and pleading for Baal to reveal himself to be the one true god and yet they receive nothing. In verse 36, when Elijah's turn to call upon God comes, Elijah cries out, "Come Lord, Come, Answer me." In response to Elijah's cry, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the fire of the Lord appears and he reveals himself to all on that mountain top.
I think this story is an incredibly beautiful picture of God's promise that he will answer our cries. He comes down to us and reveals himself in ways our hearts and minds can never imagine. I am blown away by his faithfulness to his people!

As I have spent time crying out to God for direction these past few weeks, I have chosen to cling to this story - to soak in its truth and to let it transform me into a better disciple of Christ. As a result, my heart is in a greater place of peace. I am once again nudged to lay down my plans, my timing, my dreams and instead, sit and listen for God in this particular season of waiting. I know that God has incredible things laid out for my life and when the timing is right - when my heart is ready to experience all that God has for me in those plans, He will respond. He will answer my cries and reveal more of himself to me.

"Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's Glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory which comes from the Lord who is the Spirit."
~ 2 Corinthians 3:17-18

At this moment in my life, being obedient requires me to sit in the waiting and to do it joyfully and the Lord promises His Spirit to me and that He will indeed continue to transform me more to reflect his likeness. My prayer is that as I wait upon the Lord, that my eyes would be unveiled and that my heart would be opened to experience the fullness of the Living God.

If the tranquility of my heart is at all related to the blanket of snow sitting outside, then I say, bring on the snow, because this is truly a wonderful place to be (although if snow remains into April or May, my outlook on snow may possibly change :).


No comments: