Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Little Piece of Heaven

It's hard to believe that a summer has passed by and I did not venture out to the cottage at all. Let me just say, that was not by choice. One of my favorite places on earth is still currently under high water levels and it makes me very sad to think that this is the place I grew up spending my summers. It still seems somewhat surreal to think that this is our cottage reality. But as I watch the news and hear of others whose homes are completely destroyed in the area, I am thankful that I still have a roof over my head and I am not being put up in a downtown hotel. However, it still is sad.

My dad has been going out to the cottage on a semi regular basis to check things out and move more personal belongings back to the city. It's hard to say when we might be able to start rebuilding as we have to wait for the water to go down quite a bit more. I'm hoping that next summer we might be able to spend at least a little bit of time there, even if it does involve doing a ton of clean-up. 

Our poor deck.


our new view off the deck.

ugh. lots of clean up ahead


The main road to the cottage

The waves can get pretty intense on windy days



As far as our actual cabin goes, it is still fine and dry inside. Thankfully our deck, in it's damaged state is protecting the cabin from the waves. However, we still don't know if there is structural damage that needs to be repaired - something we mostly likely will find out later this fall when the water recedes.

No comments: