Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Trek so far...

I have a few observations and reflections from my first 4 days on Trek.

1. It's been a challenging journey so far - spiritually, emotionally and physically. As said in my previous post, God is already at work and doing some pretty incredible things. I am physically tired (there are sadly few opportunities for afternoon naps, which makes session times in the afternoon challenging). Emotionally, I have had a hard few days. I have been terribly homesick and have cried many tears.

2. Roommates. I remember why this was a fear of mine prior to beginning this journey. I love my space. I love my quiet time where I can just sit and be. It turns out that the people I am rooming with here in Abbotsford, don't feel the same way as I do. This is unfortunate. They like to talk non-stop and despite my efforts in hinting at them that I need some quiet time, it has made for some frustrating moments (I may on occasion envision myself shoving a pillow in their faces so that I can have a few moments of silence, but I have not yet acted upon this). We also have very little in common. I'm really hoping that perhaps the incessant need to talk is coming from nervousness and will decrease as time goes on and as we get to know each other better.

3. Despite challenges in the roommate department, I have met a number of lovely people. I have had the opportunity to engage in really neat conversations with people and have made some good friends in Alison, Carla, Heidi and Rachael. What an answer to prayer. I'm excited to journey with these people.

4. I am the oldest person here by 2 years. I am in a very different stage of life than most people here, which on some levels has made it hard to relate, but as personalities emerge and we find more common denominators among us, the age gaps seem to lessen.

5. The food and the cooks here on Trek are awesome. I am eating very well and wish I could take Corinna (the cook) home with me at the end of this. Plus, she is just a lovely woman.

6. I am being blessed with minimal headaches so far. Hallelujah! I was very nervous for BC weather and wondered how my head was going to do. With the help of medication, I am doing pretty good.

That's all I have right now, but feel free to check out my other blog for more Trek details

No comments: