Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Above All Else

The first few days of Trek have been both overwhelming and exciting all rolled into one. We have hit the ground running. Over the course of these last 3 days I have already heard from some pretty incredible speakers - they are truly insipiring to listen to. Truth be told that I have never felt as though my heart was in missions. I was and at this point still am fairly confident in the choices I have made in my life regarding career, etc. But, my heart has been tugged. Listening to Steve Klassen and Randy Friesen describe their experiences from around the world and how the global church is growing and how these people, despite all odds and opposition against them, they still choose to follow Jesus with reckless abandon and are litterally giving up all they have. That is inspiring and moving stuff.

Looking through the gospel of Mark, we get a picture of what true discipleship should look like - what God truly calls us to do. Not once does he sugar coat a life of following him. There are huge risks for Jesus' disciples to leave all that they know and have in order live a life following the footsteps of Christ. It takes risk taking obedience to be a true disciple. When we are able and willing to give Jesus everything - truly all of ourselves, we allow for the Holy Spirit to truly move and work in our lives.

The cost of discipleship looks very different for every person. I truly have not felt a pull or any sort of conviction, to leave all of my personal belongings and family/friends behind and venture off to a foreign land for an extensive period of time to minister to a certain people. That is not to say that God will not or cannot alter that plan, but for the moment I believe that God is preparing me in such a way to minister and be a disciple to my co-workers and to my life in Winnipeg. This year ahead is going to be completely life changing. It's going to be a very hard year as I allow God to strip me down, to refine me, transform me, stretch me and mold me into the person he has created me to be.

My prayer and hopes for the year ahead is that I would delight in the presence of God. I want to know his voice above all else. I want to be obedient to what he has called me to do and be. I have asked God to instill in me wisdom as I seek him and as I go deeper in the word and as I engage him. I desire that my relationship with my heavenly father would be of utmost importance - that we would have a partnership as we walk and talk together. I believe God speaks and answers the cries and desires of his people, so I am excited and anxious for all that God is going to do in my life this year. It's going to the most incredible adventure I can imagine.

No comments: