Thursday, April 15, 2010

Stopping to Smell the Roses

Well, April has taken a slightly different twist than I had expected. A couple posts back I had said that I was wanting April to be less busy - to really sit back and enjoy life around me. Be careful what you wish for.

A couple weeks ago while watching Gavin for the day, I was taking his carseat out of my car when I felt a little twinge in my left wrist. I thought nothing of it and continued working for almost 2 weeks. By Easter weekend, my wrist was getting more and more painful and swollen. It was getting to the point where I could hardly bend my wrist at all. Last Tuesday, I finally decided to get things checked out, so I went to Pan Am to make sure things were ok. Well, it turns out they weren't. At that time, the doctor diagnosed me with having a TFCC cartilage tear. Essentially that means that the cartilage that is around my wrist bones has torn, thus allowing some of those bones to be unstable. The treatment: a wrist brace and no work for 10 days. I was not impressed as no work for me means no money. Because I am self-employed, I have no coverage, no disability, no workers comp, etc. 

I had a follow-up appointment yesterday with the same doctor at Pan Am and the news just keeps getting worse. It is quite possible that I have a stress fracture in my wrist due to overuse. This was not confirmed as he did not do a bone scan, but I have to go back and see him again in 2 weeks and we'll re-evaluate from there. So, I remain off work for the next month at least. The trouble with stress fractures is that if you don't let them heal fully, 6 months down the road you can end up with the same injury again and it becomes a chronic thing. I have decided that I can't allow this to be a chronic thing. I want to be able to massage for years down the road. So, in the meantime I am doing some physio and making sure my wrist gets a lot of rest. You don't realize how much you rely on your wrists until you can't use them for a time. So, I guess I am getting the rest I was needing, but it's just unfortunate that I had to be injured in order for that to happen. 

In other exciting news, as of this past Tuesday, I am officially a business owner. Three other therapists from where I work, along with myself have decided to branch out and start our own clinic. It has been an exciting few weeks as we have been making carpet decisions, choosing paint colors and getting the lease signed.


 Our new clinic is located on the corner of Nassau St and Pembina Hwy (beside the Deaf Centre) and we will be open starting June 1, 2010. It's a very exciting time.

This past weekend, my girls and I ventured down to Grand Forks for the weekend...Sans Kids. This was our first trip ever without having a nursing baby come along. Now, don't get me wrong, we all love those kids to bits, but there is something nice about not having to worry about scheduling in naps and feedings when we have some serious shopping to do.

 Every good road trip needs Starbucks.

We did do a decent amount of shopping, but it was also a weekend to spend time together as friends before Graham and Kristy embark on a new adventure as a family to BC. Conversations were good - some filled with tears - all good tears and lots and lots of laughter. Evenings were spent playing games, watching cake shows (thanks for putting up with my never ending desire to watch cake decorating shows girls) and eating lots and lots of ice cream. We discovered that Ben & Jerry's ice cream is only $2.50 in the states. We definitely ate our share. 
our loot after a day of shopping. Pretty impressive.



April 1st marked Aimee's 26th birthday, so we thought it would be fun to celebrate Aimee and the lovely friend that she is by taking her out for a belated birthday supper when we were in the states. Her pick...The Greenmill. It was very yummy.




Cheers for awesome friends and delicious drinks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I LOVE these ladies. I could not have asked for better friends in my life. You ladies are a blessing to ME.


So.....that's been a little bit of what has been going on in April so far and the month is only half over.











No comments: