Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cake Decorating 101

Lavonne and I have just finished week 2 of our cake decorating course. So far it has been a blast (even showing up a week early for the course has made this adventure just a little bit more fun).

Class 1 started with learning about icing consistencies and some other essential, but slightly boring things such as bagging your icing, etc. 
Class 2 was last night and it was the first class where we actually got to decorate our cakes. Time was a little rushed (from start to finish the class is only 2 hrs - my cakes all take me far more than 2 hours to create) as we got everything set up. By the time we actually started decorating our individual cakes it was already 8pm - the class ends at 8:30pm. Thankfully the instructor said we could stay until 8:45 if we wanted to finish our cakes. I cannot leave a project unfinished, so Lavonne and took advantage of the extra time and we were able to finish icing our cakes. The job was a little more rushed than I would have liked - not my best icing job, but I'm ok with that considering I only had 45 min to complete the cake. 


Next week we make the scary clown cake:

Stay tuned for next week....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kara, is there actually cake in that clown or is it a plastic head on icing? Anyway, I think your rainbow cake is lovely and can't wait to see the results of your "Bozo" adventure.