Thursday, August 11, 2011

Living Word

Today is a day I have devoted to myself. It's just me and the animals at home, I have music playing in the background that reminds me of TREK, spent time reading, prepared supper and I have baked the most perfect looking chocolate chip cookies. Today, life is good.

I have been home now for a little over 6 weeks and I get the question, how is life being back home, a lot. That question has a myriad of different answers. I'm glad to be home, back in somewhat of the known and familiar, but there are many days when I long to be back in my Portugal life, with some of the most fabulous, inspiring people I know. I've wrestled a lot since being home in regards to what life here is going to and should look like. Lots here at home has changed, and yet there is still a lot that is familiar and comfortable, which makes answering the questions, who am I and what do I want life to look like here in Winnipeg, all the more difficult.

A number of months ago, in Portugal, my dear friend Heidi shared a verse with me. It was something she was learning about after returning from Spring Adventure in Abbotsford. At the time, they did not resonate with me personally, but I saw how fitting those verses were for her journey and her life at that moment. A couple of weeks ago, I was spending time doing some much needed life journalling and wouldn't you know it, those verses Heidi shared back in May spoke volumes to me now. I never would have guessed. That, is what makes scripture so cool. It is indeed living, breathing word.

"But forget all that - it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about  to do a brand new thing. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness for my people to come home. I will create rivers for them in the desert".
~ Isaiah 43: 18-19

I have returned home from the most incredible adventure of my life and there are days when I feel completely lost in how to go about navigating my life. But then, the Spirit moves and as I read these verses, I am reminded that my adventure is far from over. Just because I am no longer on TREK or in Portugal, does not mean God is finished with me. God is starting a brand new thing in my life - a new chapter. In this healing and navigating process, God is is making a pathway for me in the midst of my wilderness with refreshing waters along the way. As I continue to search out the God I love, I know He will remain faithful and in his perfect timing and way, He will reveal more of himself and the plans He has for me.
This past year has been marked by lessons of obedience and as such, I want to continue to live that out in this new chapter. I have no idea of where God will lead me or what He will do in my life over the months to come, but I want my eyes opened and my heart awakened to be led. 

So how is life being back home? It continues to be an adventure and a learning process. I am enjoying moments of solitude and refreshment. I am being stretched and grown in ways I never expected and I have an indescribable peace in my heart about the past, the present and the future because I know God is doing a new thing in my heart. 

Praise God for living, breathing Word!

1 comment:

Doug and Myra Gentry said...

I LOVE this post, Kara. It is so exciting following where our Lord leads and, so comforting to know that our future is secure in Him. Eph. 2:10 says that God has prepared a specific plan for each of us. If we make ourselves available, He will reveal it to us when the time is right.
Love and miss you tons,
Doug