Monday, August 1, 2011

A Little Taste of Portugal...in Winnipeg

It has been a year or two since I found myself enjoying the Folklorama scene here in Winnipeg. To be honest, I forgot how much fun it is and how good the food can be :) Seeing as I just spent the most amazing 7 1/ 2 months in Portugal, and it seems as though Portugal is always on my mind, I decided that it would probably be pretty cool if I showed my family a little taste of Portugal by taking them to the Portuguese pavilion


 The pavilion featured some Portuguese dancing (although I have to say, I didn't see a lot of this first hand while I was actually in the country), some Fado music and then some authentic Portuguese foods such as octopus, shrimp, marinated barbeque chicken, choriço, cod fish and rissois pasties de bacalhau and of course, the desired green wine. It was really cool to be able to share this with my family and show them a little of what I experienced this last year in Portugal. 

Enjoying some pastel de nata and green wine.
Fado

A few of the cultural displays:
Typical Portuguese souvenirs









Portuguese Futebol
Typical Portuguese food











Since being home, I have also discovered that Winnipeg has quite the Portuguese community. There are authentic Portuguese fish markets and food stores and bakeries that I will be checking out in the weeks ahead. Who says you can't get a little taste of Portugal in Winnipeg? 

2 comments:

Doug and Myra Gentry said...

Wow, really cool! Do they do this all the time? It would be fun for some of our friends and family to experience something like this.

Kara said...

Yup, Winnipeg has this 2 week long festival every year. It's pretty awesome. You can experience most country's pavilions. Anytime you want to come to Winnipeg the first 2 weeks of August, feel free :) You are most welcome!