Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothering Day

I am thankful and blessed to be able to spend a day celebrating some pretty neat people in my life. I will be the first to acknowledge that I have been incredibly blessed with a number of remarkable women who play a vital role in my life and have shaped who I have become over the last 25 years of my life.

I learned early on that biological family is great, but sometimes highly over-rated. Genes and DNA do not necessarily make a family. I am extremely lucky to have my mom be someone who did a pretty good job raising us 3 kids (mostly on her own too). She has sacrificed a lot over the years for us and will continue to go beyond the call of duty to make sure we are taken care of. However, I think we both would tell you that we don't have the ideal "Mother-Daughter" relationship. We often butt heads, but that in no way diminishes her importance in my life. We will also readily admit that I was not the easiest child to parent (shocking, I know :). Thank you to my mom - who loves me, who put up with me for all these years and who gave so much of herself for her kids.

Throughout my teenage years and into my twenties, I have been fortunate to have been adopted into other families and those women have been incredibly influential in me being who I am today. I am a very lucky girl!
I think it's a neat thing when you can have a bunch of different women in your life - friends, mentors, etc, each who bring a unique offering to the table in how they "mother", but when compiled, their gifts and influence in my life brings out the very best in me. I have incredible friends who are mothers themselves now - who I have had the privilege of walking beside as they parent. They are phenomenal mothers and have taught me much already in how I will strive to parent one day. 
If I'm being honest with myself, I will admit that this isn't always the easiest day of the year for me. I would love to be on the other end of the giving/receiving on Mother's Day and be a mom myself. Unfortunately the time has not come yet, but in the meantime, I will joyfully celebrate the lovely women in my life who love me, who I love in return, who have encouraged and supported me and who have taught me so much.

So, to Mary, Sandra, Nicole, Rose, Sandra, Sabrina, Kristy, Aimee and Heidi, I thank you for being an example of what being a mom looks like. Thank you for loving me, for encouraging me, for pushing me, for kicking me in the ass when I have needed it and for praying for me regularly. You are all amazing women and I am beyond blessed to have you a part of my life.

Happy Mothering Day!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely tribute and I also appreciate the term "Mothering Day" since so many women have that role in so many lives. Thanks for saying it so well and for being open to the voices of others in your life.

Brandi said...

What a beautiful post, Kara. It is so wonderful that even if you and your mom have not had the best relationship, that you felt mothered and cared for by so many other women.

Aimee said...

Kara you are a wonderful woman and you are so loved! Thank you for being so great and such a wonderful auntie and mother figure to Hayley!!!!