Friday, May 14, 2010

And the cakes continue...

As of 2 weeks ago, Lavonne, her sister Julia and myself embarked on a new cake journey - the Wilton Cake Class Level 3 - Fondant and Tiered Cakes. The first cake we made was surprisingly not too ugly, however our last cake class we are making the most hideous cake of all time. Yup, that's right. It's worse than the clowns. Stay tuned for the last Monday in May when the photos are revealed. 
The classes were not entirely what I expected. I thought we would be learning some cooler techniques with fondant, but it looks like I might have to take another class, such as at the High Tea Bakery one of these days. I've learned I'm just not a huge fan of the Wilton cakes. You would think that with the craze of cakes and cupcakes like Ace of Cakes or Cake Boss, a big company like Wilton would adapt their classes to cater to some of the new trends. Oh well. You learn something new everyday.

Anyhow, this was my first cake of course 3.


This summer I have the privilege of making my first ever cake for pay. I'm pretty excited and honored that someone would think that I am good enough to make their wedding cake. Because this is my first go at a paid cake, I thought it might be a good idea to do a mock up of the wedding cake. The bride happens to be having an engagement party this upcoming weekend and asked if she could use the mock up for the event. I figured, I had to make the cake anyway, so why not. The cake I made for the mock up is not entirely what the actual wedding cake will look like. The wedding cake will be 3 tiers and will not have flowers, but seashells (from the beach the couple got engaged at) on the cake.

No comments: