Wednesday, December 23, 2009

MRI Update

My Christmas holidays began today, promptly at 12 noon. I am on holidays for 12 days in a row and I couldn't be more in need of some time to relax and nourish me. The first thing on my holiday agenda was to meet with the neurologist regarding my MRI results from a few weeks ago. Nothing screams good times like going to see my neurologist.

I have been trying to prepare myself over the past few weeks to go into this appointment with low expectations. I needed to prepare myself that I most likely will hear that there is nothing wrong with me. And that was exactly what I heard. As much as I thought I was prepared to hear that there would be nothing wrong with me, I think deep down I really thought there would be. Something would show up on my MRI. Every brain scan I have had, every test that has been done (with the exception of 1) has returned normal. You may be thinking, but isn't that good news?? The answer is yes and no.

I am thrilled and relieved that there is no tumor growing in my brain, that there is no auto-immune disorder attacking my body. However, there is still no explanation for my intense headaches. It's a frustrating place to be as I crave to be free of these headaches. But as my neurologist very unsympathetically pointed out to me today, there is nothing else that can be done for me - there are no more exploratory tests to be conducted. This is the end of the line so to speak. So what's next?? Not much. The neurologist gave me some more medication (just in case I didn't have enough already) and told me that there was no need to come back and see him. The meds can be monitored through my GP. Fabulous (please note the sarcasm). I'm exploring alternative medicine options such as a chiropractor, who also is not totally convinced he can help me, but we'll see what happens when I meet with him again in the new year. It is a possible reality that these headaches are something I will have to live with for years to come.

The Christmas holidays have begun. The results of today's appointment were not what I was hoping for, but it's not the end of the world. I am relatively healthy and I am thankful for that. These holidays are going to be focused on living incarnationlly with Christ and using the time to doing things to nourish me such as drinking lovely coffees, wandering the Mall of America, exploring Ikea, spending time with some favorite little friends (ie-Gavin and Norah) and did I mention wandering the Mall of America???

Thank you to all of you who prayed for my appointment today. Your prayers have been so appreciated. It means an awful lot.

Well, I'm headed to bed. It's been a long day and I get to sleep for as long as my heart desires tomorrow, so I am anxious to put my head on that pillow.

No comments: