Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Good Times.

Last night (or should I say this morning) I had the delightful privilege of spending a few hours in the ER. I had an unfortunate mishap with my nose ring - haha. As a lot of you know, tomorrow I am getting my MRI after a very long wait. Well, in order to get the MRI I need to remove all piercings and metal from my body. So, last night, I attempt to take out my nose ring to replace it with the plastic one they gave me (just so my hole doesn't close up). Much to my dismay, the nose ring is not simply twisting out as it should. After a few tries, my nose starts to swell up and bleed and I figure this has to be taken to the next level.

My dad is awake downstairs. Keep in mind this is all going on between the hours of midnight and 1am - yes I pick fabulous times to try things like this. So, I head downstairs to see if my dad can help me. I figure maybe another pair of hands can do the trick. My dad has another thought though. He heads to his tool box and brings out the biggest pair of pliers I have ever seen. He figures that if he snaps off the end of the ring, the other half will just fall out the inside of my nose. I initially thought that was a great idea. It makes complete sense.

So, my dad cuts off the tip of my nose ring. The other end does not fall out of my nose. Hmmm. We are both a little confused. The next attempt includes a pair of tweezers and me trying to twist it through. Nothing is working. My dad then suggests the unpleasant... that maybe I need to go to the ER and get them to do it. At this point it's 12:55am.

I head over to the hospital and go through the quickest triage and registration ever. It's gotta be good that I picked a Monday night to do this - it was dead. I got a few laughs from the nurses and the doctors as I explained my scenario to them. I was glad I could make them laugh on a slow night. The doctor took no mercy on my poor nose and gave it a good twist and pull. He managed to get it out with minimal pain.

Two hours later I walked out of the ER with an earring free and swollen nose. My nose is not looking its best this morning - red and swollen, but nothing make-up can't fix. I guess it's these moments that make life interesting. If everything were predictable, life would be pretty mundane.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow--that's a good ER story. So glad you didn't have to wait long & everything is ok! Thinking of you as you finally get your MRI.

Thiessen said...

I'm sad for your nose, but that is freakin' hilarious :) Can't wait to hear your MRS results!! Hopefully they will find something that they can treat which will take away your horrible headaches for good!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, Kara. I was cringing as I read your account of the latest ER visit! I'm impressed by your Dad, though. How does he remove slivers? I'll be thinking of you and praying for some helpful results.

Aimee said...

oh my gosh! Only you Kara, would have such an adventure!!! Thanks for the laugh..... poor nose!

Carolyn said...

Tee hee...thanx for the giggle. Hope your schnozz recovers quickly...did you ever get the plastic thing in?