Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Mother of All Parties

par·ty (pärt)n.
pl.
par·ties
a. A social gathering especially for pleasure or amusement: a cocktail party.
b. A group of people who have gathered to participate in an activity.


It had been in the works since November. It was the party of all parties. On Friday, June 5, 2009 almost 100 people stood on a front lawn near Lorette eagerly waiting and intently listening for a special guest to arrive. A band was waiting on stage (ie - the front porch), decorations were posted all over the yard and the food was all ready. A car approached and honked it's horn. Those 100 guests all yelled "SURPRISE".

The guest of honour was shocked to say the least. The surprise worked - completely unexpected. Her face was priceless.


The weather was a tad brisk (ok, that was an understatement. We froze our asses off!!), but we didn't let that stop us from having fun.

Friesen gang all decked out in party wear and ready to let loose :)

Too cool for words

I forgot to take pictures of the band, but one of Kristen's favorite singers, Jodi King and her band came out and put on a fabulous show for everyone.

Gareth asked me to make the cake for the party - something small for her to blow out the candles. As I pondered what I should create for this birthday, I tried to think of themes that were Kristenesque. What I came up with was:
  • Martinis
  • Shoes
  • Purses
  • Zebra Print
The vision I had for this cake didn't entirely turn out the way that I had hoped, but it ended up being ok in the end. I tried so many different ways to have purses and shoes (made out of fondant) sticking out of the cake in all sorts of direction, but I failed miserably. In the end I had to settle for little ornament shoes placed on top of the cake. I think Kristen liked it.



This was Kristen's 30th Birthday Party!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Fun post Kara! And great cake...wow! You are talented.

Kristen, if you are reading this (Kara, am I allowed to write her a message in your comment section?!!!) we were so sorry to have to miss out on the party. Unfortuantely Erik was working that night...it looked like a lot of fun! Love the cake - I can see it would make you ditch your watermelon cakes from now on & have Kara make you a cake every year ;) Anyway, I hope you felt special & loved & all those other good things that you ARE. happy birthday from e & me & all the girlies.

Thiessen said...

Thanks Amber!!!!

Thanks Kara too for the awesome post, pictures and cake :) I appreciate you taking the time to make it! What an awesome party it was...made all the more special by the people who were there!!