Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Rhythm.



The interesting thing that happens when you are following your Rabbi, is that you don’t always have a sense of the direction you are heading. Walking in obedience often asks you to relinquish your sense of control and you find yourself in a tension of sorts, where you choose to walk blindly, but yet, fearlessly and open-handedly as you walk with your Rabbi. At least this has been my experience.

I like feeling in control. I like to know where I am going and how I am going to get there. I’m not a fan of being blindsided. If only it were that simple!
But walking in faith continues to teach me that I am not always privy to knowing the details or seeing the broader landscape ahead. Faith is learning to journey forward in spite of the unknowns – trusting that your Rabbi’s got you.

There are so many days when I want to run ahead of my Rabbi – to know and see what it is that he sees as him and I walk together. Oh to have the opportunity to see the full landscape ahead without a cloud of dust obstructing my view! Try as I might, but that never seems to end well. I stumble and I trip. I am that disaster of a hot mess. Running ahead and attempting to gain some sense of control means that I miss out on those moments where Jesus wants to point out those little graces along the way. Grace collides with fallen mess and I get to try again.



 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

~Matthew 11:28-30 MSG (emphasis mine)


When impatience wells up within me and I grow anxious waiting; longing to run ahead, my Rabbi extends invitation to once again abide and to keep company with him. He calls me back - inviting me to fall back into step with his rhythm. Grace breathes rhythm with the Rabbi.


2 comments:

Jodi Friesen said...

When are you going to write again, Kara? You should really write.... :)

Kara said...

Haha. Thanks Jodi. I will see what I can do in the next few weeks ;)