Friday, October 26, 2012

28.

Today I turned 28. I feel no different than I did yesterday and I think I look the same, but here I am, another year old. It's funny how in the last couple of years the excitement of my birthday has changed for me - it is not the multi-day celebration that I once made it out to be. Maybe it's a sign of getting older. Last year I remember being taken aback at this realization, unsure of what was becoming of me. But this year, I find myself welcoming the ease of a day to remain low-key, where time and schedules do not dictate my day. There is freedom to come and go and to rest as I please. And I did just that. 

My day started with a Skype call from Matt, Kiri & the kids in Portugal, singing a lovely rendition of "Happy Birthday". It started off strong, but as a glass of milk was spilled by one of the kids, the song slowly petered out. I love it - Real life. It was the perfect way to start the day. The remainder of the day consisted of a lunch date at Kawaii Crepe, coffee at Starbucks to cash in my free birthday drink, hot drinks to sip on the couch while watching movies under the warmth of a cozy blanket, and a yummy perogy supper. 
Perfection.

In beginning a new year of life comes a time to reflect, both on the year past and the year ahead. As I look back at this past year and all that it held, I find myself amazed that so much happened this year. I have been invited to walk through open doors and allow other doors to close, specifically when it comes to my jobs. I had the opportunity to return to Portugal again for the summer and experience a fullness of life in that place and have passions and heart bursts confirmed. I have experienced and learned some of the unforced rhythms of grace as I continue to do life with friends and family. I have been challenged to remain in Him, the author and giver of life, the perfecter of our faith, because apart from Him, I can do nothing. I have been encouraged to walk a road of healing. I have been awakened to giving thanks. 
It has been a full year.

What does the year ahead look like? 
In so many things I cannot begin to predict or anticipate what God has in store for me this year. As I have spent some time over the last few days in quiet, in the presence of God, a word that has come to mind is contentment. In many ways, I feel like I am in a season of waiting, but I feel as though I am being asked to wait in contentment and with great faith. 
The other day I pulled out one of my bibles that I haven't used for awhile - it's big and clunky and not easy to cart around; I like my pocket size bible that just fits so nicely in my purse. In this bible I found a yellow slip of paper poking out. I opened up to that page...Esther 1. And on the piece of paper it read, 
"Kara - Esther, yes the entire book - Exceptional! 
Great things happen, when a young lady has total faith in God."

That was from my good friend Otto. He gave that to me the last day I was in Portugal, just over a year ago. The other day I read through the book of Esther again - I wanted to reacquaint myself with this woman of great faith - to see what God had to say to me through Esther as I look ahead to this next year. 
So, I am sitting with these pieces of faith and contentment, unsure of how they will play out in the year ahead, but there is a freedom and an excitement that resides within me as I wait to see what God unfolds before me.

Cheers!


No comments: