Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A New Year

Yesterday was my birthday. I am day one of a new year and this is usually the time where I reflect on the year that has passed and dream about where I want the year ahead to go. The year that has passed has been a good one in many ways. I started my own business with my fellow comrads. I have welcomed 2 'nieces' - India and Shae into the world and I am so blessed that I get to have these little ladies in my life. I have begun this crazy Trek journey. I have grown with God. I have officially welcomed my sistah from anotha mista - Dominika into my family (she has been a part of it forever it seems, but it was made official in June). These were some of the highlights.
There were some lowlites as well. I said goodbye to Graham, Kristy and Norah back in June as they made their move to BC. I hurt my arm in April, which continues to be troublesome to this very day - although taking a break from work has been a good thing. I said goodbye to people I love very much to be on this Trek jouney for 10 months. I have had challenges and struggles that have also prevented me from experiencing more Jesus in my life. Those are just a few things off the top of my head.

So, the year ahead. I have so many hopes for what I want to see happen in my life and in the life of people I love this year. I desire for this to be a life-changing year in so many ways and it has already started off that way. God is changing me - transforming me step by step and so I want to be committed to these changes and to the transformation process. One thing I want to put into practice is making sure that I am starting my day off with God. I want Him to be the first person I have conversation with in the morning. I want to grow so much deeper and live incarnationally. I desire to be a better disciple, friend, sister and daughter. I don't want to remain stagnant, but always feeling challenged to better myself in the eyes of Jesus.
I am going to see and experience life in a very new way this year. I am going to build relationships with people in a new country and I am extremely curious to see how God will move through those interactions and through me. I want to see miracles happen and experience a joy that I have never felt before as I serve Jesus and the people of Portugal.
I want to return home to Winnipeg, completely changed in some ways. A large part of me and my personality will stay the same, but I want different motives for how I act and live. I want to be authentic - truly authentic and that's a hard thing to be vulnerable. I want my values and relationships to reflect that of Christ.

I know I am going to fail at a number of these things, but I want to dream big. I am choosing to be committed to a process this year that is transformational in so many respects. I'm thankful that God's mercies are new each morning and that each day I can start over from the day before. I have a banner for my life and that is the following:
"For in Him I live and move and have my being."
~ Acts 17:28

This is going to be the mission statement for my life this year and I want to be held accountable to it. So, here we go. It's a new year, a new start in some ways and I am excited and slightly anxious to see how God works and moves in and around me.

Stay Tuned...

No comments: