Tuesday, July 6, 2010

It's Go Time

So here it. The official news. As of September 7, 2010, I am leaving Winnipeg and headed west for 8 weeks to Abbotsford before leaving for 7 1/2 months to an unknown destination on Trek. Actually, I know that I am going to one of three places: Guadalajara Mexico, Portugal or Thailand. The exact location will be determined within my first 2 weeks of being in Abbotsford, but all 3 places sound spectacular. I don't care where I end up going.

I have 2 months to get ready! Ahhh! I'm beyond excited and yet terrified all at the same time (mostly excited though). I am a homebody - through and through. I don't venture far and if I do it's not for a long period of time. I have longed for adventure in my life and regretted previous opportunities that I turned down because of fear alone. I am choosing to not live in fear of the unknown, but embrace it and leap with great faith.

You may be thinking, "Didn't you just open up your own clinic?" Why, yes I did. My life is full here in Winnipeg - I have a pretty sweet set-up here. Logisitically this is probably does not make a whole lot of sense, but I'm learning that obeying God and following where He leads does not always make sense. He sometimes asks us to do things WAY out of our comfort zones (this would be one of those times) and his only requirement is that we obey and follow him. I know that if I chose to not go on Trek, that God would bless me incredibly and he would no doubt move and speak to me in exciting ways. But, I know, that if I were to stay home, I would always wonder what could have come out of a year of being with God. I am embarking on an adventure. An adventure with God! How exciting will that be!!!! How can I not go?? I am going to grow in ways that I can't begin to fathom and experience life in a whole new way. That's pretty awesome.

As for life here, it will still be here when I get back next summer. There will no doubt be people I will miss like crazy. Thankfully we live in an age of technology and there will be many skype dates. My co-partners are very excited for me and have been encouraging me through this whole process to go, so I feel very blessed in that itself. What a relief (I had a lot of anxiety about that prior to telling them my plans). It's 10 months of my life and I am single and have limited things tying me down here. There is no better time to travel and experience something so incredible in my opinion.

I would very much value your prayers over the next few months as I prepare to leave. I am in the process of getting my finances organized, so if you feel so inclined to donate money to MBMSI on my behalf, that is also appreciated. 

No looking back! It's Go Time!

7 comments:

Sabrina said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! I am so excited for all that the year ahead will hold for you, beautiful friend. What an adventure with Jesus it will be. Praying. Will continue to do so as you go, are gone, and return home a changed woman.

Thank goodness for Skype.

Oh...and today when I mentioned going to the zoo with you, Gavin responded with, "I love Kara". Beautiful.

kerry and jo said...

wow, that is a change of pace but it will be one you will remember always. God does teach us things when we leave our comfort zone . May He already be your strength and wisdom as you make your preparations.

Thiessen said...

I'm so excited for you Kara!!! I'm excited to see the way God will use you in this next adventure of your life, and how that will forever change you. It's a beautiful thing :) Love you lots and we'll be praying for you through this journey.

Unknown said...

Great news, but I'm not surprised. Had a wonderful conversation with Luke H. yesterday morning. Told him the only negative was "What will we do without Kara for all those months?!" I am so aware that this experience will shape and form you in many ways. God is smiling.

Aimee said...

I have to admit that my heart is sad for me because you are leaving.... but I am also SOOO excited for you and the adventure you are going to go on!!!!! And I am going to fill your inbox, facebook and skype you all the time.... you will be sick of me!!hahahaha

Brandi said...

Wow, that is amazing that you are taking such a big step in trust. And you're leaving so soon! Hope everything goes well as you prepare to leave.

Bonnie said...

I wonder if we'll be in any classes together. We start our full-time missions training on Sept. 7. Wouldn't that be crazy!? I look forward to meeting you this fall!