Friday, July 24, 2009

Surprising Worship

Yesterday was a long day. It felt as though it dragged on for what seemed like forever. Pounding headache right from the moment my alarm went off in the morning and hasn't yet stopped. Big clients who although are very sweet people, left me completely exhausted. Church in the evening. It just felt like there was another activity or place to go after another. All were good things, but I have to admit that by the time church rolled around, I was not interested in going. I went. Thank you Lavonne for allowing me to pick you up - I needed that expectation that someone was counting on me to get them there.

Worship songs were sung. A sermon was preached. There were good connecting points with friends. All good things, but I felt a lacking in the connecting with God part. Finally on my way home, excited at the thought of putting on comfier clothes and catching up on some television, I encountered Jesus. I put a cd in the stereo not entirely sure of what to expect when it came on. I believe the cd was entitled "The Perfect Mix". Beyonce sang a few songs, so did Michael Buble. Finally some worship songs appeared. I found myself singing at the top of my lungs praises to God in my car. I'm sure I had some funny stares from cars around me, but that does not phase me. There were moments when I wanted to raise my hands and close my eyes (don't worry I didn't actually close my eyes while I drove). It was an intimate worship experience between me and God in the sanctuary of my car. It is experiences like yesterday when I am thankful for the 25-30 minute drive from church to my house.

I was reminded that God has not limits in where and how he can work. Meeting the Holy Spirit in my car was a little unexpected seeing as I was just coming from church where I was expecting to encounter a Spirit presence, but the worship in my car was very much welcomed. The Holy Spirit works in unexpected ways and I love it!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I pictured you closing your eyes while driving, singing and worshiping with all your heart, cars swerving to avoid you, and laughed out loud.So glad you experienced that time of worship (and that the eyes closed while driving thing didn't really happen.)