Thursday, July 2, 2009

Canada Day Goodness


I must admit that my patriotic duties were not stellar yesterday. I didn't wear red. I didn't wave any Canadian flags. I did not paste any temporary flag tattoos on my cheeks. I didn't attend any big street festival or any other large gathering with fellow Canadians. I did not watch any fireworks. Instead I celebrated Canada's 142nd birthday in Kristy's backyard, sitting by the pool while the kids played and enjoyed good food and conversation.

That being said, we did make an honest attempt at joining the rest of Winnipeg at Assiniboine Park during the afternoon, but we all agreed that to fight the sheer madness of car line-ups and pushing our way through the copious amounts of people was just not worth free admission to the zoo. I'd sooner pay the $8 (or whatever it costs now) to go to the zoo on a non-crazy day. Our sanity is definitely worth that extra $8.


The weather was perfect. We enjoyed ice cold glasses of Coke on the grass and watched as some favorite people delighted in the fact that they could play in the pool together.


Not only was the pool good for swimming in, but it also served as a grape & cracker washer and a drinking bowl.


I'm always up for good fireworks, but by the time 10:30pm rolled around, I was spent. I climbed into bed a tad earlier than the rest of the city, but so glad that I did because I fell asleep instantly as my head hit the pillow.
Our day was not filled with your typical Canada Day festivities, but that's ok by us. We had a great anyways, just laying low. Now, bring on the weekend!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I LOVE this post. And you. Hope you have a great evening!